Pedal replacing nightmare

noisemonkey
noisemonkey Posts: 159
edited July 2010 in Workshop
I'm currently trying to replace the annoying toe clip pedals with some Look Keo's but the old one won't come off. It seems to be completely jammed and no amount of attempting to turn the thing will get it to budge. I've tried spanners, grip wrenches to no avail and am only succeeding in shearing off the edges of my tools and the offending nut in the process to the point where it's even more difficult to grip. Anyone know how to remedy this?

Comments

• johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    Don't shout at me, but are you turning it the right way? left pedal goes the wrong way IIRC, please check somewhere else!

Have you tried WD40, penetrating oil etc? There was a thread on this a few weeks ago which covered most of the sensible options

Otherwise could just be seized beyond redemption - happened to me recently, even LBS couldn't get it off, eventually had to saw off the pedal body, remove the crank and put the spindle in a vice using the crank to unscrew! took us over an hour!

Good luck!
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • noisemonkey
    Johncp wrote:
    Don't shout at me, but are you turning it the right way? left pedal goes the wrong way IIRC, please check somewhere else!

Have you tried WD40, penetrating oil etc? There was a thread on this a few weeks ago which covered most of the sensible options

Otherwise could just be seized beyond redemption - happened to me recently, even LBS couldn't get it off, eventually had to saw off the pedal body, remove the crank and put the spindle in a vice using the crank to unscrew! took us over an hour!

Good luck!

just sliced my thumb open. Actually I've tried turning it both ways in case that worked but still no joy. Looks like it's proper fecked. have to get a vice from somewhere I guess.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have read to check the direction and get a LONG 9/16" spanner.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=83
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    pedals unscrew by turning toward the back wheel.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Try some light heat from a blow torch. LIGHT heat just warm it enough as not to discolour it. May break the seal?
  • noisemonkey
    cheers for the tips guys.. I'm going to take it to my local bike shop tomorrow..
  • noisemonkey
    got a park tools pedal wrench and stood on it to get enough leverage.. all sorted. :)