2 questions/ advice on problems found whilst on a trail

ol\'gregg
ol\'gregg Posts: 612
edited July 2010 in MTB general
As it says above I have 2 questions.
One is as i set off on a bit of a climb i was in the saddle peddling and i kept pulling the front wheel off the ground when i was putting force into peddling. Is that due to my weight being too far bak or something else??

The other is also whilst on the trail on monday I felt like whilst i was on the saddle on other climbs i was hunched over and it didn't feel right/ comfortable. Again is that down to something i'm doing worng.

I'm 5'10" have a medium giant rainier.

Thanks for any help or advice, it was just frustrating me, that and my realisation at how unfit i am.
gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth

Comments

• dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Your weight needs to be carefully balanced, too far forward and your back wheel spins up, to far back and the front wheel comes up.
  • Yeah. there can be a bit of skill in climbing on an MTB, especially on longer travel forks. Depending on how steep the hill is, the front wheel can become very light.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If the front is pulling off the ground then probably your weight is too far back and/or the slope is too steep and you are possibly going too slowly in the granny ring.

You probably want to play with the seat height. With MTB if there are climbs involved, you ideally want a quick release seat clamp and pull the seat up fairly high to position your body more forward and give you more power on the pedals. Lower the seat for descents and to allow you to move the body further back.

If the slope is very steep and you're in the granny rings, you may find starting off is almost impossible without the front pulling back. If you haven't got the momentum the best option may be to just get off and push.

If you can, get a few gears up with some momentum going. This seems to reduce the problem of the front pulling up. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just momentum and speed.

Oh, and body and head forwards and low with arse raised :D. You can get better control on the steering. If you are more upright the steering can wander and the front pull back.

And yeah, if you have forks you can wind down to reduce the height, then that's a bonus also (so I've learnt recently).
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    On really steep climbs you need to slide forward onto the nose of the saddle. apparently it's called riding the rivet from the days of old leather saddles.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    As above.

Its far from comfy but get yourself perched right on the tip of the saddle.

Also, fight the temptation to pull back on the handlebars. Try and keep your arms and shoulders relatively relaxed, and use the power in your legs. You get used to it.
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    Cheers for the help all :D:D It was just one of the things that was bugging me. It was my first ride at a trail centre so I guess it's all a learning curve :)
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Climbing is all about core strength. If you find yourself pulling on the bars, just relax and rest your hands on top of the grips whenever you can.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Being 'on the rivet' is nothing to do with climbing, more about putting the maximum power down, which you get from being on the front of the saddle.

Quick tip when climbing - move your thumbs on top of the bars... it relaxes your grip and tends to open you arms and chest up which helps breathing...
  • tuxpoo
    tuxpoo Posts: 138
    Forward on the saddle, Elbows in, wrists dropped and chin on the bars.

The object is to keep enough weight on the back to stop spinning and enough weight on the front to stop it lifting.

works for me.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    tuxpoo wrote:
    Forward on the saddle, Elbows in, wrists dropped and chin on the bars.

The object is to keep enough weight on the back to stop spinning and enough weight on the front to stop it lifting.

works for me.

this....

I tend to put tumbs on top of bars...elbows in and down....lower than the bars....then if its still wandering/lifting at the front....slide forwards on your saddle till it could just about probe you....also encourages me to not 'sit' on the saddle full weight...floating on the perch as it were!

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Ah yes...that old Chestnut.

I upped from a 100mm to a 140mm. First climb of significant steepness and not only did I wheely...but the front wheel went over my head and I rolled onto my back. Looked a right bellend with the bike still strapped to my feet.

However...as above. keep your arms bent, tucked in and elbows LOW. Keep yourself slightly forward but enough weight on the back wheel so as not to spin or lose traction. And bobs your uncle.
  • belugabob
    belugabob Posts: 158
    Definitely agree with the above posts...
      Thumbs on top of handlebars (Makes you press down on bars instead of lifting them) Elbows in and down (Ditto) Lean forward Slide to front of saddle

And, for the last time, I'm not your uncle!

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!