CycleOps Classic Magneto Turbo Trainer

bilirubin
bilirubin Posts: 225
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
Hi Guys,

I am going to take the plunge and buy myself a turbo trainer for this winter and quite like the look of the CycleOps Classic Magneto Turbo Trainer, has anybody out there got one of these and if so are they any good?

I am leaning towards this model because the maker and Wiggle claim the resistance changes when you change gear on the bike to simulate actual road riding.

I am not concerned about noise so that is not an issue and it will stay up in my garage so being able to fold it away etc is also not an issue.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    I have one and the biggest selling point for me was the clean look of having no cables hanging around :) that said i wish i had gone for a different model :(

Simply put you cannot beat the thing , the harder you push the harder it pushes against you !

I personally would now like a model with different settings that I could click on and I would perhaps temporally be able to beat ! Of course the turbo would gradually grind me back down but i would have the satisfaction of beating it for a while :lol:

Cycling plus if i remember correctly gave it about 6/10 and said it was ideal for sprinters due to the nature of the progressive resistance, in that it would build up strength and to be fair i think that is a fair comment.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • CarleyB
    CarleyB Posts: 475
    there is oe for sale in classifieds...or there was this morning.

I just bought the fluid 2 and its been great and it changes resistance with gear changes and its sooo quiet!
    Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
    http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
    http://www.go-ride-byca.org
  • Jabster101
    Jabster101 Posts: 64
    I’ve had one for a couple of years. Got it because it was cheap and simple (I think you have to crank up the £ a lot to see decent benefit)

Yes, the resistance never really lets up. And – for me anyway – it is horrible and (for first 20 mins) really rather painful. Just a grind, hard to build a rhythm and pushes legs in a different way to the road. First couple of TT sessions of the (winter) season are very grim indeed.
    Having said that, you do get used to it. And getting used to pain aint no bad thing. Due to arctic winter, last year I spent more time on it than normal. When I returned to the road my comfortable regular cadence had gone from 90-95 to 100-105 (with no discernable increase in effort) and found I was riding on flat eyeballs out faster and longer.
    If you want something to sit on and spin away for an hour and half, it’s not ideal. But, interval training, it’s great at building power and LT.
  • Hi there i have just bought this trainer. Unfortunately I have followed the very sketchy instructions and cannot get the tyre to connect with the magnetic strip/wheel. I have tightened the yellow handle and it will move no further, I have inserted the magneto skewer and still I cannot get the rear tyre to connect - any tips anyone has would be helpful - perhaps there are other areas I can adjust it that I am not aware of - hope theres some help out there. Thanks Denise
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    denisemr1 wrote:
    Hi there i have just bought this trainer. Unfortunately I have followed the very sketchy instructions and cannot get the tyre to connect with the magnetic strip/wheel. I have tightened the yellow handle and it will move no further, I have inserted the magneto skewer and still I cannot get the rear tyre to connect - any tips anyone has would be helpful - perhaps there are other areas I can adjust it that I am not aware of - hope theres some help out there. Thanks Denise

Have you tried searching Youtube for a set up video? Should be easy to spot where you went wrong.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • dw300 wrote:
    denisemr1 wrote:
    Hi there i have just bought this trainer. Unfortunately I have followed the very sketchy instructions and cannot get the tyre to connect with the magnetic strip/wheel. I have tightened the yellow handle and it will move no further, I have inserted the magneto skewer and still I cannot get the rear tyre to connect - any tips anyone has would be helpful - perhaps there are other areas I can adjust it that I am not aware of - hope theres some help out there. Thanks Denise

Have you tried searching Youtube for a set up video? Should be easy to spot where you went wrong.

yes i have checked you tube and watched the videos and I have done everything right - I hv tightened the bolt on the resistance unit more and I have now managed to get it to about 1 cm away from the wheel but it is still not touching the tyre.