London - Barclays Bike Hire dockign stations

BigJimmyB
BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
Hi there,

I've seen that membership opens for the scheme today, but there are no maps of the docks available (online) until next Fri - so I don't know if I should be a member as I might not be able to take advantage.....

I'd like to use a bike daily to ride from Fenchurch Street to Moorgate. I know there is a dock on London Wall, but does anyone know if one exists near Fenchsurch Street.

There IS a map at the London Wall dock, but it covers about a 1/4 mile raduis - rubbish!

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Hi there,

I've seen that membership opens for the scheme today, but there are no maps of the docks available (online) until next Fri - so I don't know if I should be a member as I might not be able to take advantage.....

I'd like to use a bike daily to ride from Fenchurch Street to Moorgate. I know there is a dock on London Wall, but does anyone know if one exists near Fenchsurch Street.

There IS a map at the London Wall dock, but it covers about a 1/4 mile raduis - rubbish!
    There's one in Finsbury Square, too. Not sure about the Fenchurch St end, sorry
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    There's one just off the King's Road on Flood St., but that isn't much use to you. Noticed it for the first time yesterday. No bikes in the racks yesterday, though.
  • There is a map on the TfL site that outlines the area covered by the bike scheme. My understanding is that the aim was that a person in the area should be no more than 150m from a bike station (where I get 150m, I don't know, but it seems familiar).

They should have bike stations close to PT hubs, so I would expect Fenchurch St to have one in or near it...

... but I couldn't help you with exactly where it is.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    There will be one on Crosswall, about a minute from the back entrance of Fenchurch St station - they've done the preliminary road works, although they haven't yet installed the docking stations themselves.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've seen a couple of people riding around on the bikes already. I don't think there is any danger of speed records being set on them.

Good idea though. Lets see how it goes in practice.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • BigJimmyB
    Thanks for the replies.

The Fins Sq one is the London Wall one I was referring to. Thtat'll be very handy for work.

The Crosswall one is in the wrong direction, I'll be 5 mins further away from work by the time I get the bike!

Just don't know why they haven't published a proper list of docking stations.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Loads of stations on Southwark Street, they've even got bikes on some of them (naturally, they're useless to you as they're miles away from your route):

4821691335_9dc0d767f6.jpg
  • BigJimmyB
    Thanks TopSpin.

St Mary Axe is defo do-able
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've seen a couple of people riding around on the bikes already. I don't think there is any danger of speed records being set on them.

Good idea though. Lets see how it goes in practice.

I've been on one, got it up to 18mph in my suit, i reckon if i swap the pedals out for SL's and i wear my cycling gear.. i could get it up to 25 on the flat.
  • Seen a station on the northbound north side of vauxhall Bridge. Don't know if it's got bikes in yet.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    just managed to look at topspin's map & it looks like St Pancras to Vauxhall is doable :lol: , although only two stations near St Pancras which is slightly odd for one of the busiest train stations

anyone recommend a route (Waterloo will do as an alternative)?
  • prj45
    gaz545 wrote:
    I've been on one, got it up to 18mph in my suit, i reckon if i swap the pedals out for SL's and i wear my cycling gear.. i could get it up to 25 on the flat.

Cor, wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of you going at 25mph on one of those if I step out in front of you on my mobile phone!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've signed up to get my key card thingy.. might use them occasionally..

but an app for your phone detailing lock up points might be a good idea?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Me too! I'm excited... :D Go go cycle hire scheme!

EDIT: A cycle hire stations app would be brilliant. On android, obviously, none of this Apple nonsense.
  • jonginge
    Did a little google to see it there was a public api and found this...
    http://madebymany.co.uk/london-cycle-hi ... app-004029

Edit: see first comment
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    JonGinge wrote:
    Did a little google to see it there was a public api and found this...
    http://madebymany.co.uk/london-cycle-hi ... app-004029

Also, from the same article...

http://cyclehireapp.com/

But it's only for the iPhone so far........................

If only there were a phone software developer who likes both cycling AND android...
  • jonginge
  • jonginge
    If only there were a phone software developer who likes both cycling AND android...
    *la-la-la*
    :lol:

Edit: damn, went onto new page. See previous post for android app
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    Actually, having just been onto the android market there are several apps, one of which maintains it can tell you how many bikes are on each stand, as well as timing your ride etc etc.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    A new style of bike in the docking station
    4837006083_602ba6d671_b.jpg
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I wondered how soon that was going to happen
    Riding on 531
  • Aidanw
    Aidanw Posts: 449
    I have been looking at this but i think it is too expensive.
    £45 then free for 30 mins longer than that then the price ramps up pretty fast (don't know if you can just hop from dock to dock in sub 30 minute sections for a longer journey)

or £1 a day min charge for ad hoc usage.

There are fines of £150 - £300 for damage and losing the bike or not returning one. Not sure how being pushed off your bike and it being cycled off is handled. As there is no way you can prove you locked the bike correctly it seems to me the cost of being fined wrongly is too high for me to want to risk.

I guess I am not the normal user as generally I have a bike with me, the times I would want to use one is to get to a pub after work further than my usual one. I cannot see a weekend or other use for me.

I do hope I am wrong but the costs and hassles of getting a keyring thing and remembering to have it on you probably rules it out for me. I assumed it would be an extension of the oyster system.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I was watching a vid thing by Jenny Jones the London Assembly woman who focuses on cycling issues and she was saying that when the Velib scheme in Paris opened there were 10,000 bikes and now there are 24,000! London is starting with 6,000 and London is way bigger and there are a lot more people in London than Paris. Hopefully there'll be enough to go round...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Aidanw wrote:
    I have been looking at this but i think it is too expensive.
    £45 then free for 30 mins longer than that then the price ramps up pretty fast (don't know if you can just hop from dock to dock in sub 30 minute sections for a longer journey)

Yes, you can make any number of sub-30 minute journeys in a 24-hr period for a pound. It's designed in the same way as the Paris Velib system so that the bikes are kept in circulation and it works very well for them (I have used the Velib). They have 20,000 bikes, versus our 6,000 though. You should be able to ride across the whole area in less than 30 minutes - if not, head to the nearest station, dock your bike and take another as the time period approaches 30 mins.
    Aidanw wrote:
    I do hope I am wrong but the costs and hassles of getting a keyring thing and remembering to have it on you probably rules it out for me. I assumed it would be an extension of the oyster system.

£2 per fob, apply online and you keep it on your keyring. Can't see how it's a hassle and you don't need to pay for a whole year's access to get a fob - you can use them for 24-hr or weekly periods as well.
  • prj45
    I was watching a vid thing by Jenny Jones the London Assembly woman who focuses on cycling issues and she was saying that when the Velib scheme in Paris opened there were 10,000 bikes and now there are 24,000! London is starting with 6,000 and London is way bigger and there are a lot more people in London than Paris. Hopefully there'll be enough to go round...

Also note she said that the original plan was to have no bike docking stations anywhere near a railway station.

They should be IN them.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    prj45 wrote:

Also note she said that the original plan was to have no bike docking stations anywhere near a railway station.

They should be IN them.

Yes it would seem logical to at least have them within visible distance from the main entrance to mainline stations. Tourists and visitors to London are unlikely to bother seeking them out on back streets unless they're really set on getting a bike.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    The way I see myself using them is I'm in town and instead of using the tube a couple of stops to get from a to b I'll pick up a bike and ride it to the closest lock up point to whichever pub I'm heading to </realistic>

nothing big nothing lengthy just a handy way to make a 40 minute walk a couple of mins on a bike for £1
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14