Bike theft on tour??

Jamesk4
Jamesk4 Posts: 2
edited August 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hey, I'm cycling across France for three weeks with two friends this September. We're camping almost every night, and I'm a little concerned about leaving the bikes outside the tent. Does anyone have any experience with bike security while camping? Thanks

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Kryptonite KryptoFlex cable ...210818.jpg4 and 7 foot versions. Buy a good padlock with a key and you're good to go (or not).
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Crapaud wrote:
    Kryptonite KryptoFlex cable ...210818.jpg4 and 7 foot versions. Buy a good padlock with a key and you're good to go (or not).

+1

I used one of these with a combination padlock and secured the bike around key parts of the tent.
  • Crapaud
    iPete, I prefer something more solid. There's usually a tree nearby that fits the bill.

IMO a padlock with a key is more secure as there is an outside chance that a combination can be guessed or they could just get lucky.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    True true but I work on the basis that I'm more likely to lose a key than it be stolen! :lol:
  • Crapaud
    I'm more likely to forget a combination code than lose a key. :D
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    One of those cables with a motorbike alarm padlock. The noise will scare people off and wake you up. I personally use the oxford locks one, although it is a bit quiet at 100dB, if i'd have known i'd have gone for one of the 110 or 120dB ones.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    personal attack alarm and a bit of fishing line if you dont want to be carrying arround a steel cable.

http://shop.yale.co.uk/acatalog/Persona ... larms.html
  • Yes, do take a bikelock with you and secure to something solid near your tent. Did hear of a unlocked bike getting stolen from a campsite on our recent touring trip across Spain/France - it messed up their touring holiday.
  • JHcp
    JHcp Posts: 144
    Certainly cable or chain it to something solid and immovable. Also check your bike insurance to see what they require, as some require that you use a lock or cable to a certain standard often this is to the soldsecure gold or silver standard.
  • nip down to B & Q

you sure will find something to suit .