Evans "Stage 1" service

pitchshifter
pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Took it into St. Pauls today for a service hoping they would would just sort my gear indexing out as it has recently been a little jumpy and to fix a bent chainring tooth.

Just received a phone call saying i need a whole new crankset chain and cassette.

This is my favourite part, "your Dura Ace crank arm is bent and will need replacing". I weigh 70kg i am no Chris Hoy. I haven't knocked the bike or fell off, and it was running fine until recently.

Also my cassette has done just over 1000 miles, although i dont know how many miles the chain has done.

Are they sending me up the garden path? Anyone else had any experience with evans servicing?

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Hasn't your chain done the same miles as the cassette? If this is your Stage 1 service, then am I right in thinking it's your first one after buying the bike from them?

If you're not convinced, then just tell them to leave the bike to you to sort out and get a second opinion.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pitchshifter
    No, I got the bike second hand, with new wheels and a cassette. I expected a new cassette and chain.

I just cant get my head around a bent spider as its been running fine. I told them to forget it.. Its the only place i could get it booked in quick before a race in 2 weeks...
  • Ben6899
    How did the chainring tooth get bent?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • pitchshifter
    I would like to know myself, but its only very slightly just enough for the chain not to engage straight away.. Its right next to the crank arm..
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Could the tooth have gone at the same time as the crank arm I wonder?

Maybe it had taken a spill before you had her, and it's now starting to show up?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ooh that sounds expensive!

I'd have the thing back and do a little DIY on it. Take the chainring off and try straightening the bent tooth. If it snaps off, just file / grind off any sharp bits and see how it runs when reinstalled.

Is it the crank arm or the spider they reckon is bent? Do the chainrings wobble from side to side as you spin the cranks? Does the drive side pedal still look horizontal to you?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Even if the chainring is knackered, it's a damn-sight cheaper to replace that than the whole chainset.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Took it into St. Pauls today for a service hoping they would would just sort my gear indexing out as it has recently been a little jumpy and to fix a bent chainring tooth.

Just received a phone call saying i need a whole new crankset chain and cassette.

This is my favourite part, "your Dura Ace crank arm is bent and will need replacing". I weigh 70kg i am no Chris Hoy. I haven't knocked the bike or fell off, and it was running fine until recently.

Also my cassette has done just over 1000 miles, although i dont know how many miles the chain has done.

Are they sending me up the garden path? Anyone else had any experience with evans servicing?
    This is what you get when you take your bike to a dodgy LBS .....
  • pitchshifter
    Well picking it up within the hour so I will see how "bent" it is..

Watch this space.
  • Ben6899
    Any updates on this?
    Ben

• pitchshifter
    edited July 2010
    "Where and how is it bent?" I said.

"err you cant see it with the naked eye.." evans employee.

Then he promptly spins the pedals backwards in which the chain falls off...

"That wouldnt happen if the spider was straight." he says..

"So its nothing to do with the bent chainring tooth I told you about when i dropped it off then" I say..

*Now showing (3 members of staff) that the chain jumps off as soon as it hits bent tooth when pedalling backwards..

"Ooooh I see.. well they wouldnt continue a service if you can't pedal backwards without the chain coming off."

"So i need a whole new chainset then?"

"errrrr, yeah thats what it says.."

Waste of time.

Someone without using their own eyes could of come out with a large bill for a whole new chainset.....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    F@ck me! I bet you're glad you didn't opt for the stage 2 service. The entire bike would likely have been in the skip.

Whip it round to Halfords, see what they have to say. :shock:
  • pitchshifter
    The whole experience was rubbish really, from the moment I dropped it off. All my LBS being fully booked kind of makes sense now..
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    My Dura Ace chainset and cassette have done 6000 miles with 1 chain change in that time. For some reason the chain comes off the outer chainring when pedalled backwards on the workstand, but this doesn't bother me because I never pedal backwards when cycling!

I wouldn't worry about the bent crank or spider unless it's affecting the drive or looks as though it may snap. As has been said, a bent tooth could possibly be bent back - if not just replace that ring.

a serious case of small cogs
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    keef66 wrote:
    F@ck me! I bet you're glad you didn't opt for the stage 2 service. The entire bike would likely have been in the skip.

Whip it round to Halfords, see what they have to say. :shock:
    :D:D:D