How much does ASO make from the TDF?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Does anyone know how much revenue or income ASO makes from the Tour de France?

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    http://noir.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid ... cEFQJEQQg8 touches on it. In short, a lot of money, exactly as you'd expect from one of the biggest events on the sporting calendar.
  • donrhummy
    Just as I suspected. They're drastically underpaying the riders! Sure, anti-doping costs money, but if you have $136 million Euros to pay out in DIVIDENDS (note that's not income, it's a part of their total income), over a 4 year period, then they have a lot more money to give the cyclists - the ones who actually ride the races.

And in 2008 alone, ASO pulled in 158.6 million Euros, yet paid the riders only 3.3 million Euros. That's sad.

(BTW, Thanks for the link Kléber!)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Yes but unlike other sports where prize money is higher (e.g. Tennis) the riders are invariably paid a salary by sponsors.

If you want to look at unethical behaviour in sport event economics, please, start with FIFA and the IOC not ASO. The only forced evictions related to the TdF are of road furniture.

Strava is not Zen.
  • donrhummy
    calvjones wrote:
    Yes but unlike other sports where prize money is higher (e.g. Tennis) the riders are invariably paid a salary by sponsors.

If you want to look at unethical behaviour in sport event economics, please, start with FIFA and the IOC not ASO. The only forced evictions related to the TdF are of road furniture.

In Tennis, all the players have sponsors and wear their clothing, sunglasses, use their rackets, etc. And many of them have performance benefits built in to those contracts as well.
  • Kléber
    I don't see any rider complaining too much. Yes the prize money is not big but show me the rider sitting at home saying "hmm, I'll skip racing in July, it's just not worth it" as I'd like to know who they are.
  • donrhummy
    Kléber wrote:
    I don't see any rider complaining too much. Yes the prize money is not big but show me the rider sitting at home saying "hmm, I'll skip racing in July, it's just not worth it" as I'd like to know who they are.

Just because they aren't complaining doesn't mean it's fair. Believe it or not, every day there are long lines of people trying to get a job at Foxconn in China. Because there's no other options for them.

If you complain (publicly) about ASO and how much they're paying, you'll never get an invite and your team might not either, which would kill a cyclist's career.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    donrhummy wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

In Tennis, all the players have sponsors and wear their clothing, sunglasses, use their rackets, etc. And many of them have performance benefits built in to those contracts as well.

Well, yes but my point is rather that pro cyclists have employers, who pay them every month, and that prize money is therefore on a different footing to sports where this is not the case.

I suspect if you divided FIFA player bonuses for winning the World Cup (if they even pay them) by WC income you'd get a far lower figure than for TdF.

If ASO were 'underpaying' riders, then noone would ride. It's just economics.

Strava is not Zen.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,953
    plenty of the lower ranked riders could do with a boost
    the higher paid ones get plenty enough by the standards of a Gambian brick layer

I would like to see footie and tennis players (plus a lot of other primo sports) paid less
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,165
    Kléber wrote:

Here's one:

3456850248_bc3f7d01ef.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Organizations such as ASO make it possible for riders to earn a living. So even though they don't offer much in the way of prize money - winning a stage in one of their races means the riders can earn more money from their 'bosses' in the form of a better contract.

ASO have no obligation whatsoever to offer more prize money. And if they didn't make so much money, they might not be as keen to run as many races as they do. And run them very well.
  • Kléber
    He's not skipping it for the money, but for his legs :wink:

It might be nice if ASO could cough up more money but it's a private company which exists to shovel money to its owners and that won't change. The real value in the race is the win, not the cash that follows it. I doubt riders even think of the money at all during the race, it's more a nice surprise. Especially since the prize money gets shared amongst the teams according to different formulas, eg riders get a share, DS and mechanics, soigneurs too etc. If you sprint to a win, most of the money goes to others.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,747
    ASO also run other races. If the teams felt the prize money was insufficient then they wouldn't turn up. The kudos of a good Tour is worth far more to them than the actual prize money (also, don't forget the prize money doesn't go to the individual who wins it). If there was, for example, £1 million on offer to the winner on GC would there also be a (greater) incentive to cheat?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pross wrote:
    If there was, for example, £1 million on offer to the winner on GC would there also be a (greater) incentive to cheat?

In a sense - there is! Contracts and endorsements give the winner this much and more.

One of the reasons why the winner traditionally gives his winnings (from ASO) to the team.
  • donrhummy
    Pross wrote:
    ASO also run other races. If the teams felt the prize money was insufficient then they wouldn't turn up.

That's not even remotely true. What sponsor would continue giving money to a team that skips all the ASO events? That would include the Tour de France, the Vuelta a España, Critérium du Dauphiné, Paris–Roubaix, Liège–Bastogne–Liège, La Flèche Wallonne and Paris–Tours.

Even if the prize money's unfair, it'd be suicide for a team to refuse to ride in those races.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    At the end of the day it's an event organised by a company to make a profit, and they have never claimed to be doing anything else. As we all know the race was originally started as a means of selling newspapers. OK so they have a monopoly but it has to be worth their while or they will stop doing it and in this day and age there are not many organisations that i can see stepping in and organising it, what with doping problem and the recession in the advertising and marketing industries, Plus It's a massive event that must have huge funding requirements to put it on and people don't risk that much money unless the return on investment is good.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    donrhummy wrote:
    Just as I suspected. They're drastically underpaying the riders! Sure, anti-doping costs money, but if you have $136 million Euros to pay out in DIVIDENDS (note that's not income, it's a part of their total income), over a 4 year period, then they have a lot more money to give the cyclists - the ones who actually ride the races.
    And in 2008 alone, ASO pulled in 158.6 million Euros, yet paid the riders only 3.3 million Euros. That's sad.
    (BTW, Thanks for the link Kléber!)
    Your figures seem awful high. In the ASO annual report for 2005, the turnover was 135 million Euro and the profit 27.6 million Euro, and it's unlikely they've changed that much since. Maybe your 'pulled in' figure is actually turnover?
    Of course 20% profit on the turnover, any business would welcome.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    donrhummy wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

I can remember John McEnroe complaining during Wimbledon that Tennis players were the worst paid professional sports stars... I nearly flipped.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Final Prize Money (although I give no guarantee for the figures, they're not my calculations):

Astana 488.886 €
    Saxo Bank 292.392 €
    Rabobank 192.978 €
    Caisse d'Epargne 114.604 €
    Euskaltel 94.746 €
    RadioShack 92.018 €
    Omega Pharma 90.424 €
    HTC-Columbia 88.988 €
    Lampre 81.796 €
    Quick Step 78.058 €
    BBox 76.074 €
    Garmin 55.352 €
    AG2R 47.776 €
    Cervélo 39.542 €
    Katusha 38.966 €
    Sky 36.992 €
    Liquigas 33.096 €
    Milram 27.118 €
    FDJ 25.922 €
    Cofidis 20.372 €
    BMC 15.872 €
    Footon 13.492 €

The end figures aren't '0', which would normally be the case, apparently because of the way the prize money was divided out for the part-neutralised stage 2.
  • Kléber
    Sky pwned by Ag2r
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    don't forget if you look into the profiles of the ASO then you are looking into more than just cycling.

Do they still own L'Equipe ? Don't they do a few horse races too ?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,747
    emadden wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

I can remember John McEnroe complaining during Wimbledon that Tennis players were the worst paid professional sports stars... I nearly flipped.

Might depend on how you define paid. They are effectively freelance, they get a bit of appearance money but if they don't win they don't get much. Not all players have sponsorship. Basically you get what you earn by being good (with odd exceptions like Kournikova who earn more based on their looks). Seems fair though, if you aren't any good you don't make a living!