new forest/ hampshire training rides

topmoxy
topmoxy Posts: 138
im quite new to road riding, have recently completed a 24 hour 230 mile charity ride and have entry for the New Forest Rattler in August. i find it hard to keep pushing myself to get better average speed when riding solo so im looking for training rides in my area to join. i have searched local clubs but cant seem to find much in the way of training rides. any help much appeciated. moxy

Comments

• Mr Smooth
    Mr Smooth Posts: 70
    Whereabouts in the Forest do you live?

There's a group that meets on Wednesday evenings at the Augustus John in Fordingbridge - 7pm.

We do about 25-30 miles, ave speed 16-19mph, stop at a pub a few miles out on the return, then back to the AJ for a beer and to eat.

PM if you want more info - or feel free to come along!
  • topmoxy
    hi, thanks for the offer, im the other side of the forest in sway, but would still head over that way for a ride . im not sure if i would hold you up though, when riding solo i average about 16 , would that be a problem for the rest of the group. cheers moxy
  • Mr Smooth
    Mr Smooth Posts: 70
    Don't worry about that - there's a variety of abilities, and I'm sure the current slowcoaches would be more than happy to have someone share the load!

It isn't a training run, it's a social ride, with a bit of competetiveness on the hills etc. And riding with a group is a great way to get faster

Mrs S and I rode around the IoW on Sunday and averaged about 14.5mph, but we tend to be near the front of the group on Wednesdays so I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • ...well done for completing the DFBR....i did it also! (i was on the Kuota Kharma red/black road bike) :lol:

I live in bournemouth and ride at least 5 days a week,so if you want to get out for a spin , give us a call and we'll sort a ride out....i average about 16-17 mph , so we're about the same level....

The Bournemouth Jubilee Wheelers only do 1 sunday ride a month at the moment but come October , we're out every week till March......feel free to check the website...

You can get me on Bmth 770258......

Cheers

Thomas
  • Hi - my son and I are both keen cyclists based in Sway. We have just returned from riding down from St Malo to the Pyrenees to ride and watch Le Tour before riding on through Northern Spain to Santander and the ferry home. There is a very active road club based in and around Sway - New Forest CC - give me a call and we can go for a ride 683815. Best regards John and Sam.
  • topmoxy
    thanks for all the replies, im off to cornwall this week , but will get in touch to join some rides as soon as im back, cheers moxy
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    +1 for New Forest CC.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Am also new roadie this year. Based New Milton. Looking for joining with other riders in NM/Sway area for 20-35 mile rides. Plse get in touch.
    Regularly do NM - Sway - Brock - Rhinefield - Burley - NM. Anyone interested?
    Would be interested in joining New Forest CC but reading the website they look like they are more of a TT set up. Is this correct?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Airwave
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Am also new roadie this year. Based New Milton. Looking for joining with other riders in NM/Sway area for 20-35 mile rides. Plse get in touch.
    Regularly do NM - Sway - Brock - Rhinefield - Burley - NM. Anyone interested?
    Would be interested in joining New Forest CC but reading the website they look like they are more of a TT set up. Is this correct?

I'm a member of New Forest CC&whilst it's true we do one TT a week there's also club runs at the weekend for riders of all abilities.It's also a really well run freindly club that'll make new riders very welcome.You never know you might have a go at a TT in time.The courses are sporting &take place all around the forest from March-Sept.
  • ....just found out that there's a ride from Waitrose car park in Christchurch every saturday at 8 am.Apparently its about 30-35 miles with 17-18 mph average,and an optional coffee stop in Burley.

Might be worth checking out....I'll be there this week on my KK if anyone would care to join us... :wink:

Thomas
  • mr_goo
    Anyone interested in starting a ride out from The Rising Sun, just up road from Bashley on Saturday or Sunday mornings. 30-40 miles. 8 o'clock starts. Fed up with hard work of cycling solo and could do with company. Can't do this weekend as got family commitments.
    Will also be there this Friday at 4pm to do couple of hours out into forest to get mileage in before the Rattler. Anyone interested call my works mob 07921 580705.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • topmoxy
    myself and Mr Goo got out sunday morning and rode a steady 35 mile route in forest. started from rising sun Bashley.(average about 15 mph im still working on my speed) good roads and good weather. hoping to get out again during the week, would be good to get a few local riders together for rides. can vary routes and start points to suit. all welcome.
    moxy
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    anyone do the happy cheese ride from the pub in ashurst?
    i hear its pretty rapid ave 21-23 mph.
    I'd be interested in hooking up one morning if antone has any info?
  • mr_goo
    21-23mph average!! I find that speed very difficult to believe myself but then only been riding a road bike since the spring.

Are you sure this is not a HOG ride?
  • Airwave
    Mr Goo wrote:
    21-23mph average!! I find that speed very difficult to believe myself but then only been riding a road bike since the spring.

Are you sure this is not a HOG ride?

There's a few on the forum that can do 25+mph for well over 100miles,solo.I myself am not quiet that quick.But can keep up 21-22mph for 60miles on my own.It's reletive as you improve 20+mph won't seem out of reach.Just go along to a club TT you'll see what i mean :wink: