Help with bb shell 'gear cable router thingamebob'

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Sorry for title, not sure what they are actually called.

I have the plastic 'gear runner' a shimano jobbie. In the middle of the BB shell is a hole, but its not threaded and the small hex bolt that fits the shimano (purple colour) gear router is far too small.

On my 92 'Dale M800 it went in no problems, this is different....

I am clueless how its going to mount then, obviously there was one there before, but normally you just screw it into the frame.... :?

OK, here's a pic of the BB shell:
img00039201007262119.jpg

The hole is not threaded and is larger than normal. Far too big for the bolt that came with this:
img00042201007262128.jpg

Any ideas where I could get the correct fitting for this, don't really want to bodge it, would rather have the correct item fitted... ;)

Also, anyone with a c.2001 'Dale that can help me out here?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    double sided sticky tape. and the cables hold it in place.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    nicklouse wrote:
    double sided sticky tape. and the cables hold it in place.

May be the answer nick TBH.

Was going to use an epoxy resin? If not tape may be the answer.

After some routing around on tinterweb last night, it appears that the cannondale specific router has a nub the pops into that hole. Also, the shimano one I have is a bit small for the BB on my current BB shell.

The is an Evans near the office I have fuond out, and they are a Cannondale Dealership, so I may nip in and see if they can order one in for me. Shouldnt cost much.

If not, as you suggested, a decent quality/high strength tape shall be purchased.
  • was nosing through one of the supplier catalogues at the lbs the other day and saw tghe very thing your after there, think it might have been 'cycle division', only noticed it as brothers bso has one, and have just made it a bit more useable! (the bike that is!)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481