new road rider

jon p b
jon p b Posts: 2
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
hi all hope you can help
i am about to by a new road bike but have not been on one for 20 years .i have a budget of £350 and would like to by new have seen a claud butler criterium advertised for around this price.i am 6 2" and about 15 stone what size of bike would i need and are there any other makes i could look at in this price range also would 14 gears on the CB be enough thanks

Comments

• masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    hey man, i was gonna get that claud butler.. dont get it! the gears are cheap and filmsy... ur best of getting a 2nd hand bike for ur budget as ur gonna be looking at the better bikes normally priced at around £600-700:)

( the criterium has a nice paint job though:P)
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    6'2" I would say you would need a 58cm frame... but that is highly dependant on your personal shape and the geometry of the bike you are looking at.

Harass your LBS and test ride a few different sizes to get a feel for what is more suited to your body shape!
    exercise.png
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    6'2" I would say you would need a 58cm frame... but that is highly dependant on your personal shape and the geometry of the bike you are looking at.

Harass your LBS and test ride a few different sizes to get a feel for what is more suited to your body shape!

Go to a few LBS and try as many bikes as you can. Even if they are well above your budget. Just get an idea of what you want/need
  • I was in a similar boat; relatively low budget and was advised to go second hand. I tore my heair out on ebay for a few weeks as everything half decent ended up going for more-than-my-budget.

In the end, I went for a new Giant Rapid 3 from my LBS for £550. I got interest free credit over 6 months, lifetime warranty on the frame, 1 year warranty on the parts, free service within 3 months and a 12 month labour warranty. Plus it fits me like a glove and doesn't have a scratch on it ;)

Well worth keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand bargain but don't be surprised if they go for more than you might have first guessed!
    Giant Rapid 3