Bike Pumps...

marcandre
marcandre Posts: 43
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
Hi, i want to put two bottle cages on my bike instead of having a long pump.

if i do this, how does everyone else carry a pump?

do you get a mini pump and put it in your back pocket?

and the co2 gas bottles only fill up one tyre so a bit risky.

some advice would be appreciated

Marc
Trek - Fast Track 470

Cannondale SuperSix

Comments

• ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Mini pumps usually come with holders which attach to the bottle mounts under the cage. Or stick it down your bib-shorts and impress the ladies.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Mini pumps usually come with holders which attach to the bottle mounts under the cage. Or stick it down your bib-shorts and impress the ladies.

Even more so if you stick it down the back of your shorts :D

Can confirm my minipump bracket fits under the bottle cage mount.
    The other method I've seen is under a saddle pack which has two elasticated loops to hold it in place.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    some can fit in the sdaddle bag, maybe inside the seatpost if its thin.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mini pumps in back pocket. ONly Nimrods put mimi pump mounts on their bikes...... :wink:
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    I just carry an SKS gas pump n spare cartridge in small aero saddle bag, but you can also get bottle mount brackets for the SKS gas pump and a second bracket to hold a spare gas cyclinder if required.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    dmclite wrote:
    Mini pumps in back pocket. ONly Nimrods put mimi pump mounts on their bikes...... :wink:

can-of-worms.jpg

Here we go again... :D

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    Either:

Mini-pump on a holder under one of the cages.

Frame-fit pump under the top-tube. I've also seen people with frame fit pumps on the seat-stay, which seems to work well if you get the right size.

I prefer frame fit pumps - much much easier to get decent pressure into your tyres.
  • wilshawk
    wilshawk Posts: 119
    I used to carry a traditional long hand pump, but it kinda poked out the top of my rucksack, and I dont relaly like stickign too much to my bike as you then have the hassle of taking it all off when you lock it up outside the supermarket or evil people will steal it all.

So I bought a very cheap mini-pump, it is weak and is hard work to use, however its only for emergenices and can get my 28mm tires up to 40psi which is perfectly fine for completing a journey, the more expensive mini-pumps might be better though. For regular pumping I use a track pump at home of course, up to about 75psi.

Its about half the size of the long pump so fits nicely in teh backpack, I would imagine it might start to feel a bit irritating in the back pocket.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Topeak Road Morph, down the back of your shorts, gets tyres up to 120psi without too much effort, weighs about 250 grammes
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    dmclite wrote:

Ill let you admire mine when I pass you on the hills as its on the nearside . :P
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    JD_76 wrote:
    dmclite wrote:

Ill let you admire mine when I pass you on the hills as its on the nearside . :P

Wakey wakey sunshine, time to wake up...... :D
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    dmclite wrote:
    JD_76 wrote:
    dmclite wrote:

Wakey wakey sunshine, time to wake up...... :D

:lol: