Got this bike, can anyone tell me more about it?

Valy
Valy Posts: 1,321
edited July 2010 in Workshop
I had my bike stolen, so I went to a local charity shop to get myself something until I can get some moneys together for a new one.

Here are a few pictures of it. It weights about 13kg according to my scales has ISO 630 rims and is a bit on the smallish side. I think. There is also a bit of strange clicking in the bb - when you load either side it clicks - does not seem to be any [obvious] play from trying with my hands though.

Anyway - can anyone tell me more about this bike and if it is considered good or bad etc?

PS - I moved the brake levels from original and can I get a longer stem? The brand is Emmelle.

Thanks for any information!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Looks like the kind of road bike around when I was a kid. I'm 32 now so that bike has to be about 25 years old.

Who knows, you might have a piece of history on your hand worth a pretty penny to a retro enthusiast.
  • Valy
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Looks like the kind of road bike around when I was a kid. I'm 32 now so that bike has to be about 25 years old.

Who knows, you might have a piece of history on your hand worth a pretty penny to a retro enthusiast.

Yeah - having had a quick look up about the ISO 630 rims, it seems that it would be from the 80s - not that I mind, it's just that whatever tires I get now will be no use on a ISO 622 wheel. :/
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    What does the head badge say?
    Looks like an Emmelle - very basic sports bike.
  • Valy
    Weejie54 wrote:
    What does the head badge say?
    Looks like an Emmelle - very basic sports bike.

:roll: Like it says at the bottom of my OP.

:P
  • Weejie54
    Like it says at the bottom of my OP.
    Didn't notice that. I was too excited by the pictures... Not....

Emmelle makes Apollo look high tech.
  • Valy
    Woo.

Do you know if I can get a longer stem?
  • Weejie54
    Yep - a quill stem for what looks like 1" (25.4mm) bars (might be 26mm - measure before buying) should be easy enough to track down. I would try and get rid of the steel rims though.
  • Valy
    I will try to have a look.

What is wrong with the rims though?
  • Weejie54
    Steel rims are dangerous in the wet - end of. They tend to bend out of true if you hit a bump in the road too. You can still get 27 x 1 1/4 rims if you look around but the cost might be too much for the bike - if you could locate some cheap long reach brakes you could fit 700c wheels and that way you could have spares when you get your new road bike (if that's what you go for next time).
    "Emmelle" is the name used by Moore Large & Co, btw - I reckon they thought it sounded French.
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    Weejie54 wrote:
    "Emmelle" is the name used by Moore Large & Co, btw - I reckon they thought it sounded French.

It does :?
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • Valy
    Weejie54 wrote:
    Steel rims are dangerous in the wet - end of. They tend to bend out of true if you hit a bump in the road too. You can still get 27 x 1 1/4 rims if you look around but the cost might be too much for the bike - if you could locate some cheap long reach brakes you could fit 700c wheels and that way you could have spares when you get your new road bike (if that's what you go for next time).

Why in the wet? Poor braking?

As far as getting a new set of wheels and a set of brakes - that would add up to another, what, £80, oh yeah - and some tires on top of that, £30.

I could have gone for the other bike that was going for £275 that way... It was a bit on the small side, but it had really good specs - easily worth twice the asking price.
  • Weejie54
    It does

Yep - and 'ML' doesn't. Probably on tje lines og 'Gipiemme' being the Italian for 'GPM' - only at least they are Italian. Moore Large are from the well known French resort of Derby.
  • Weejie54
    Why in the wet? Poor braking?

As far as getting a new set of wheels and a set of brakes - that would add up to another, what, £80, oh yeah - and some tires on top of that, £30.

I could have gone for the other bike that was going for £275 that way... It was a bit on the small side, but it had really good specs - easily worth twice the asking price.

It's just that brake blocks on wet steel do not work well - you may find that the blocks have leather facings as it improves it slightly.

I agree that the added expense doesn't look economical. That's why a set of 700c wheels and tyres would at least give you something that would be useful for a future bike (you would probably need to cold set your rear dropouts too). Your front brake calipers look like they may just drop the extra 4mm needed for 700c wheels but the rear looks doubtful.

You appear to have bottom bracket problems too.
    Ah...the joys of cycling on the cheap!
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    Weejie54 wrote:
    It does

Yep - and 'ML' doesn't. Probably on tje lines og 'Gipiemme' being the Italian for 'GPM' - only at least they are Italian. Moore Large are from the well known French resort of Derby.

D'Arby :lol: