XC Peterborough / Rutland area

Comments

• chris1994
    chris1994 Posts: 3
    Hi, can't make the 9.00am meet as i've only just finished work!!

Quite interested to hear about the possible hills and descents around Yaxley thou

Chris
  • rusty656
    rusty656 Posts: 44
    Hi Chris

I log all my rides on GPSies.com, so zoom in on the map to that area and you will see them all listed
  • acac
    acac Posts: 348
    who up for aride this saturday or sunday peterborough area
    play hard ride hard
  • acac
    is there any body about this weekend ? :lol:
    play hard ride hard
  • puddle-rider
    puddle-rider Posts: 295
    Sorry mate we are all off for an all day ride on the Long Mynd with the 'Slow Rides' group, allthough don't let the title fool you :lol:
  • Hi There

i would be up for more interesting sunday MTB rides in Oakham / Rutland area. I have been exploring the pathways and bridleways and am starting to put together some fun loops.

Let me know when the next sunday ride is - or any other for that matter.

Thanks

r.
    R.

ride like the wind, be home for tea
  • Willrideforcake

Hi Willrideforcake

Id been keen to try Mikes loop next time you are doing it. Looks fun and id like to find some single track around here.

Thanks.

R.
    R.

• puddle-rider
    @ 14th_ Monkey

I could be around for a ride on Sunday what sort of time were you thinking of?

I know the area around Oakham very well so would be interesting to see if either of us has found something different :)
  • Hey Puddle rider

8 or 9ish? so could be done for lunchish? depending on what we do.

Ive only been in the area since Feb and been lazy on the bike this year but am keen to get riding more often. For such an open county there seems to be a lot of pathways and less for bikes ... or can we ride on pathways?

Let me know if Sunday is a go and we can make plans.

My semi decent ride is from Manton towards ridlington and loop back through Braunston to Rutland water and gently back to Manton.
    R.

• puddle-rider
    Hi 14th_Monkey,

I'm guessing that my version of that route is not much different from yours,

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Al ... ycle-Track

I live in Manton so the start point is ideal for me.
    I'll let you know tommorrow about Sunday, just need to check nearest and dearest has not organised anything else but I don't think so and 8.00am is perfect for me.

Mike
  • puddle-rider
    Hi 14th_Monkey,

Sunday at 8.00am will be fine for me, meet in St Marys road, thats the road leading down to the pub?

I can only stay out for 3 hours though as I have too many DIY jobs at home still to do. :(

Mike
  • So how many people is the group up to now?
    Ride One or Ride None! ;-)
  • puddle-rider
    Sadly the group seems to be going nowhere :(

It was two but one went to live in Germany leaving just me and since then the group hasn't enlarged so it's a bit of a one man show :cry:

I'm still riding out at the weekends so any one that wants to join me is more than welcome, in addition i've hooked up with the slow rides group :D on this forum and am going out on a monthly trip with them. If you want to join me with this group then I can provide the transport.
  • That is a shame, do you live near to Rutland Water then? I live in Peterborough, so ride a bit round there, but quite regularly go up to Rutland for a blast round.
    Ride One or Ride None! ;-)
  • puddle-rider
    Yes I live in Manton, I don't ride the water that often when I do it's late at night or in the winter when there are not so many leisure cyclists. Most of the time I ride the bridleway network around Oakham, Market Overton and so on. Sometimes go over to Wakerley Woods for a bit of cheeky singletrack.
    The closest I have got to Peterborough is around Yarwell, Elton, Wansford etc, etc

Irchester Country Park is worth a visit as well.

Come and join me any time you like.
  • acac
    hi i love to join u lot some time i be out this saurday may be sunday 24th /25th

i live in peterborough but i dont dive so i head out towords yerwell that area or anywhere around peterborough
    play hard ride hard
  • puddle-rider
    I'm out riding down south this weekend but could get together weekend of 31st July, happy to meet up over your way to be shown around.
  • I'm at Chicksands tomorrow if anyone's about - no room in the car I'm afraid, but we're aiming to be there for about half-nineish!
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • hi i live close to rutland water and ride mainly alone so it would be good t meet for a ride.
  • puddle-rider
    Hi Simon,
    Like you I ride mainly alone so it seems sensible to get together, how are you fixed for next Sunday morning? the earlier the better for me.
    Mike
  • rusty656
    rusty656 Posts: 44
    have heard a couple of you mention Bourne Woods, now the kids are on holidays i cant go on my usual rides as a bit too far for them, are Bourne Woods worth a trip out from Peterborough and could a make a decent ten mile route criss crossing through the woods ??
  • jimbo1971
    jimbo1971 Posts: 3
    Hi all

If you guys are still doing Sunday morning around Rutland Water I'm up for that.

I live just the other side of the A47 so I don't normally go to the water - I head up to Wakerley/Fineshade on Sundays

What time would you be starting and from where? I did the organised night ride the other week and had a great ride
  • puddle-rider
    Jimbo and Simon,

I will be going out on Sunday morning, depart time is very much open but I do want to be back by 12 noon, so suggest we get away about 9.00am.

I'm easy about a route we can go around the water, do the bridleways around Brooke and Braunston, or even chug off around Ketton and the Luffenhams, if this suits then suggest we meet in St Marys Road Manton, this is the road that leads down to the Horse & Jockey.

Alternatively i'm happy to meet up around Wakerley or Fineshades and do a few hours aound there so over to you guys and anyone else that wants to join in.

Mike
  • jimbo1971
    jimbo1971 Posts: 3
    If it's suitable for everyone then 9am in Manton is OK by me

Jim
  • puddle-rider
    Jimbo,

We'll call that a firm arrangement then, i'll see you in St Marys road at 9.00am, we'll decide on the day were we go then.

Any body else is welcome to join us.

Mike
  • fat sam
    fat sam Posts: 45
    hey is this ride still going ahead this sunday, do you mind if i tag along, im only about 15 miles away form manton so shouldnt be to hard to get out there. :)
    it is hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys
  • puddle-rider
    @ Fat Sam,

Pleased for you to join us, meeting at 9.00am in St Marys Road (the road that leads to the pub) on Sunday.

Mike
  • fat sam
    fat sam Posts: 45
    cool i wil be there, google maps said it should only take 21 minutes to get out there :shock:
    it is hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    hey guys

have any of you tryed the rutland velo club?

i started riding properly about a month and 2 weeks ago, if you join you can come along on all the rides that we do and there really good! every wednesday we ride rutland water with the peninsual then on other days when the weather is good we also do bigger rides instead on wednesdays if everybody is up to it. its well worth doing! its i think £10 or £15 a year i think and you get a 15% off on accesories and 10% off bikes at rutland cycles included in the price and then u can come along on all the rides and stuff, it basically pays for its self with what u buy ive saved hundreds with my 15% you guys should come along and do it! everybody is really friendly and nice when i started i wasnt really fit at all they waited and they are really encoraging, im 16 you see :D

heres a link for them, http://www.rutlandcycling.com/Article/3 ... ETING.html

about routes good old rutland water but i do this great one though riddlington, dont know the route by name so il try and explain it, go from witwell to egleton instead of going left to carry on around rutland water go right and carry on till you hit the main road from oakham to uppingham cross the road over the train tracks and basically follow the bridal ways and stuff (little more complicated than that ask if u want a better discription :D ) and after all of that you come out by manton at the top of the hill then carry around the resivoir like normal all in all a great route, little bumpy but awsome 29ish miles and a fair amount of hills you have been warned haha first time i did it i nearly died but that was like my 3rd week into it i did it yesterday and it was fine! its a great route barley any people!

Ben
  • Hi Ben,

I do that route extension of yours but the other way around so that you come down the hill to the Railway crossing at Egleton, yes I know the Velo club and usually join them on Wednesday nights in the winter, too much to do in the summer with the lighter nights!

Mike