Assos clothing

Si C
Si C Posts: 130
edited July 2010 in Road buying advice
I was just browsing the range on one of the big online dealers.

Are there really people willing to spend £200+ on a pair of bib shorts? and £130+ on a jersey?

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Yep.

Seen a few people local to myself covered in ASSOS kit..

Apparently it's very good, but it should be for the price... :wink:
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    I have two pairs of Assos FI13 bibs, wouldn't wear any other make now I have them, so comfy and the chamois cream is excellent also. If you choose the right time to buy them you can pick them up for £170 ish, or go for the Mille and you can sometimes pick them up for £120-130

You gets whats you pays for
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Si C wrote:
    I was just browsing the range on one of the big online dealers.

Are there really people willing to spend £200+ on a pair of bib shorts? and £130+ on a jersey?

People spend £4000+ on a bike - why not spend proper money on the bits that protect your bits? The Assos stuff is excellent but I shop VERY carefully and rarely pay more than 60% list price and only small amounts. I've bought cheaper stuff (Endura) and ended up giving it back to the bike shop. I've spent over 100 hours on the bike since Feb - buying the right gear makes sense.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Some of the Assos stuff is great such as the bib shorts and some of the jackets, but a lot is way way overpriced and not that great imo. I have some bibs, a gilet and an excellent thermal jacket, all of which are top quality, but you have to admit some of the stuff such as the jerseys, socks etc are not all that.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I wear a lot of Assos usually, summer jerseys, bib shorts, winter jackets, bib tights etc. and all good stuff except imo they don't make summer mitts very well. Socks are fine too. And skull caps for winter excellent!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    As a long time Assos fan can I say that the Castelli free aero race bibs have passed them.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • giant_man
    I'm guessing you're referring to the newer ones with the Progetto X2 insert. Nice and comfy?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've some assos shorts and I cant say that my bum can tell them apart from cheap ebay shorts. I cant see how a top is worth £130 - if it fits, and can hold stuff in the back, it will do. I do have some rapha stuff (bought in a sale) and its too nice to get muddy out on the roads !

If you put a high enough price on something - people will buy it !
  • Si C
    Si C Posts: 130
    cougie wrote:
    I've some assos shorts and I cant say that my bum can tell them apart from cheap ebay shorts. I cant see how a top is worth £130 - if it fits, and can hold stuff in the back, it will do. I do have some rapha stuff (bought in a sale) and its too nice to get muddy out on the roads !

I'm not so sure. A cursory stroll around t'interweb looks as though there are a few of our big online dealers punting Assos at quiet big discounts, and they all seem to have an extensive stock, which does make me question if they are having problems shifting it.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Si C wrote:
    cougie wrote:

I'm not so sure. A cursory stroll around t'interweb looks as though there are a few of our big online dealers punting Assos at quiet big discounts, and they all seem to have an extensive stock, which does make me question if they are having problems shifting it.

More than likely it is stuff from several years ago. You don't 'generally' see Assos stuff at huge discounts.

I always thought it was overpriced and daft to spend that much money on a pair of shorts, etc. Until I tried them.

Have 2 pairs (both bought for under £100) and won't wear anything else. Have some jerseys as well - but they aren't good value in comparison.
  • PiesG
    PiesG Posts: 4
    I have some Assos kit and some Santini kit, with the coolmax pad. The Tour Down Under has a Santini ProTour sale every year, and it is well priced and superbly comfortable.

Interestingly, I have found the Santini shorts hold up well to falls and abrasions: I wrecked the assos shorts on some Velcro within a month and never found the pad particularly comfortable (Mille shorts, so not cheap).

However, if the assos kit had fitted me well, then I would currently have 4 pairs of Assos bibs and not 4 pairs of Santini bibs in the drawer.....most important thing for me is find something that fits and is going to put up with the sustained abuse from my excess weight in the heat out here......always suspected one of the reasons the pad fits so well is because I use a split seat and the Santini pad is perfect for that configuration.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Yes, I would have thought that silly money for shorts - but then I bought a pair (on a very good deal) and I would never use any other. They are superb, and long lasting. I've a pair of Mille bibshorts and the much more expensive F1.13 and honestly can't tell the difference, or at least not much anyway. Go for the Mille (and shop around) and you'll see they are pretty damn good. I spend about 15-20 hours a week in the saddle, so buying good shorts is kind of important.

I have heard their summer mitts fall apart quite readily; that may be so, I've never used them. I do have their winter system gloves and they have been wonderful, and wonderfully durable, these past three winters of very hard and regular use.
  • Raphapimp
    Raphapimp Posts: 22
    I have some of the Six Day summer mitts and they are the best i have ever had, 3 years nearly now and as comfortable as the day i brought them. Highly recommended.

I think if you have the cash then spend it on what you want, you will seldom be dissapointed with Rapha or Assos stuff, i have a few bits of each and they are great products. Very different though one is casul one is race. Like the other guy said, Assos stuff for summer - if it ever comes back - and Rapha for the rest. Going to take a punt on some Assos winter gear this year. Shop around and you will get some deals on tinterweb.

You will ride better with better gear on! You will feel faster and ride faster. Ok maybe not but you will look and feel better. I always buy 3 new items a year, i figure i don't drink, smoke or spend a fortune up my nose so why not drop £350 a year on bike kit.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Got Assos -

Gloves
    mitts
    Warmers - arm/knee
    Jerseys - Swiss one, and S13's
    Airblock jacket
    Element Zero gilet
    Intermediate evo's
    sleevless jersey
    oversocks
    climajet gilet
    Uno bibs
    lots of socks - summer and winter
    ass cream

Apart from club kit I wear little else... And before you think I am loaded, every item was bought either half price, or heavily discounted, or used.
    Other stuff just isn't in the same league. The winter gear is superb. The cut of everything is fantastic - but racy. Between the two gilets, and the airblock jacket and bibs, little else is needed all year.
    Grab a deal, buy essential items, and you'll only buy once and save on buying tat.
  • I took the plunge into buying some Uno bibs and they are night and day better then the DHB stuff I had been using previously they are really very good. But since getting a few pairs of Santini bibs even with the cheaper of there inserts the coolmax pad despite being half the price of the Uno's I do struggle to feel the difference in the wearing. The fabric quality and finish of the Assos stuff is definitely better quality.
  • bendertherobot
    I'm guessing you're referring to the newer ones with the Progetto X2 insert. Nice and comfy?

Aye, same as in the body paint ones, which I understand to be awesome as well.
  • giant_man
    yes I've heard that too. But of course you never know until you actually buy one to find out!
  • bendertherobot
    I have the Saxo bank ones as well. For a shade under £70. Quite honestly the comfiest shorts I have ever worn. As I understand it Sportful own Castelli so that explains some of it. They appear in certain respects to be very similar in parts to the body paint stuff. I actually couldn't go back to Assos now as I think the Castelli stuff is better and looks considerably cooler. :D
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    I have the Arm warmers and they"re worth it.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    Another thumbs up for assos. It really is excellent fit and quality. Just shop around for more sensible prices.
    I like white bikes
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    More money than sense..tbh bit daft spending that sort of money
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

Tried it?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • kitsunegari
    kitsunegari Posts: 131
    Another vote for the chamois cream, it's excellent.

I will be buying some Assos shorts when I can convince the missus.
  • giant_man
    daviesee wrote:

Tried it?
    Of course he hasn't!!
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Not the old....how much thread! :roll: