What upgrade will make the most difference?

Dr_Nickcp
Dr_Nickcp Posts: 53
edited July 2010 in Road buying advice
So, hypothetically, imagine you had around £100 to spend to upgrade something on a road bike. What would you spend it on?

If you want a more specific scenario then imagine you have a Ribble roadbike that's maybe five years, with an aluminium frame and other bits, carbon fork, Mavic Cosmos wheels and a Sora 8-speed groupset. And relatively new tyres. And you are concerned more with comfort than with weight or speed.

I've thought about a carbon seatpost - but I don't know how much difference this would actually make? I'm imagining it would be more comfortable than alloy.

Or perhaps I'd be better off buying a new pair of shoes - I currently have a fairly cheap pair from Decathlon, but they do fit me really well (I have freakishly wide feet and find shoe buying quite tricky).

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    £100 and comfort?, probably spend it on a bike fit session.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Get a cheapish carbon seatpost, (I got one for £16) and it made a small difference. You can also get fatter tyres or carbon bars of you can find some cheap enough.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • red dragon
    red dragon Posts: 263
    +1 for bike fit session.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    A good pair of bibshorts. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Open a savings account and chuck the £100 in towards a new bike. Or some nice clothing.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Ditch the Sora shifters, I'll bet you'd get used 105s for well under 100 quid. Get a nine speed set, add a nine speed cassette and you've got an extra gear too :-) Shouldn't have to change anything else.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    £100 spend on a bike fit will add more mph and/or comfort than any upgrade.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    lose weight.
    invest the 100 quid