New Old Steel Beauty!!

Lig
Lig Posts: 178
edited July 2010 in Your road bikes
Hi all,

Just built up this Steely....Done a quick test ride and it rides suprisingly nice!!

Frame from around late 80s - Columbus SL tubes.
NOS Campy Chorus headset and seatpost.
11 Speed Athena Group
Old Record Delta brakes (had to be done)!
Campag Zonda Wheels....

391538184_o.jpg

391538214_o.jpg

391538233_o.jpg

Comments

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    A classic! Loving the colour 8)

There is something about the old steel tube frames, they just look so classic and pure. I wonder if any of the carbon frames around now will look so good in 10-20 years time?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    nice not sure about the deltas thou

prefer the new athenas

best bike on here for ages
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lig
    Cheers Guys,

W - The colour if fab really deep red metallic - it was a real find on eBay - and just my size!! I know what you mean about the classic look, i think its to do with the horizontal (non sloping) top tube and the thin tubes......I think the Carbon frames will look classic, if you look at the early Trek OCLV ones, they already look pretty dated/retro?!

M - 'Best bike on here for ages' - I like that thanks!! I know what you mean about the Deltas, they just seem to suit the frame but I may swap them for the Athenas (I did buy the group set so I have them waiting)!! It will probably be a good Kilo lighter if I swap them also :D

Lig.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    looks beautiful.
    loving the chrome tops to the forks.
    dont ditch the brakes, they look great and give the bike a 'from the era' look, i remember Fignon using them in the tour c1989
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    those brake look very nice but dont they cease to operate when the pads wear down. be carefull.
  • Lig
    Cheers Rake,

I will look into this but I think you could be right!!

Lig.
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    Mmm, very nice. Seem to remember lusting after a Colnago in that colour recently.
  • Lig
    Cheers Lazyboy,

The Colnagos in 'Seroni' do look nice, but you do pay a premium for the brand. I got this frame off eBay for £300. A Colnago in good condition would go for £600 minimum!!! I also like the BASSO brand, a bit more rare than Colnago.

Lig.
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    I love that paintwork! Looks like a great bike. There definitely is something timeless about those old steel bikes that today's bikes don't have. In 20 years' time the Madones and Tarmacs of today will look quite dated I feel.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Beautiful bike. Nice build.

Sounds as though you were lucky with the size. I built up an Olmo frame, took ages, only to find it was too small. Steeleys can be diificult to size.

How much did you pay for the frame if you don't mind me asking?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    That's a gorgeous looking bike... it reminds me of the kind of bike I lusted after as a teenager. The brake callipers are fantastic... and it's red! All 'racers' should be red - unless they are raleigh bananas or bianchis.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    That's a great wee bike! Maybe it's just me, but I'd probably remove the decals from the wheels just to make it look a little less 'busy' and more traditional, but she's a beauty!
  • Perfect. Just perfect. All Italian thoroughbred with the best of both the old (floaty steel) and the new (lighter, more reliable components). That's my fave colour too, magenta-ish, bet it looks better in the flesh too.

That said, brakes looks fab, never seen those before.

Are you able to find any Campy pedals? And you could def get a more retro saddle, but these are both contact points so no point if it's not comfy.

Amazing chrome work on the chainstays.

Hope you keep this beauty locked up well mate...
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    Beautiful... 8)
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    That is simply gorgeous, well done. I have a steelie on the "fleet" myself, but it's nowhere near as nice as that!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!