Bouncing chain - chain rings

dmorton
dmorton Posts: 244
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, i've got an Orange Crush 2010 and I've noticed recently that the chain is jumping about on the front rings a bit, mostly dropping off the first ring down to the second, and very occasionally going the other way dropping off on the crank side. This occurs when riding over rough stuff, not while changing. Generally if I then pedal it gets back on to the big ring no probs, no skips (obviously can't do this if it drops of crank side though)

I've got a few of questions

-Could the indexing be slightly out?
-Could fitting a bash guard help stop it dropping off crank side?
-Can I fit a bash guard and still have 3 rings up front?
-Or do I need a chainguide? (they look quite costly and I'd have to do away with at least one ring up front, unless there are three ring solutions?)
-Whatever happened to those DCD Chain Tensioners?

Ha, quite a few questions actually! Any advice/answers greatly appreciated

Cheers!

Comments

• mixorcist
    mixorcist Posts: 3
    A bashgaurd won't make much differance.

A chain guide/tensioner is the best way to ensure the chain stays on but you would need to lose the bing chain ring, they can be expensive and heavy.

A quick fix could be to remove a couple of links from the chain, less chain means less slack.
    Be carefull though, before you remove any links put it in big ring and big cog and see how much slack the rear mech is taking up, if you remove to much you could wreck the rear mech.

Have a look at this link and scroll down to the section on chain length
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    My Kona does that, I just live with it and have my mech adjusted so it barely gets into the small ring so it can't easily jump into it, I have toyed with the idea of a double chainguide but don't really want the extra weight.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy