edited August 2010 in XC and Enduro
I'm going :)

it'll be my first ever race :?

Anyone else going?

details here: http://www.brownbacksracing.co.uk/race_ ... index.html

Comments

• sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    I'm not going to that one coz I'll be up at Glentress, But I'm going to enter the one on the 22nd August.
    Which class are you doing?
    Caz xx
  • gg8tcw
    gg8tcw Posts: 112
    i'm going to start with the Have a Go Hero class. I've never done anything remotely like this before, so i figured it'd be the easier (although it wont be easy) group to start in.

Which group are you in?
  • sparrowlegs78
    I'm in the have a go heroine class...I wonder how many laps I can walk in 90 mins lol
    Caz xx
  • sparrowlegs78
    I'm now having second thoughts on this...even the have a go heros are getting in 4 laps ! I'll only manage about 2 :(
    Caz xx
  • gg8tcw
    nah Caz, you'll be fine! The have a go class is a shorter route. I assume you still cant make it this Sunday? :(

I'm away for the race after this one, but i'll let you know how i get on.

Is anyone esle coming this Sunday????
  • sparrowlegs78
    I can't make it on Sunday as I'm in Scotland :D
    I'd love to know how you get on, see how the dreaded tramway climb treated you lol
    Caz xx
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    I'll be there gg8tcw, trying to finish, unlike last time (take a tube).
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • gg8tcw
    Whytepeak wrote:
    I'll be there gg8tcw, trying to finish, unlike last time (take a tube).

Cheers, will do!!

oh, check this out...

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2010/07 ... es-round3/

looks like it'll be an interesting course!
  • Whytepeak
    Yeah, sounds intriguing, we'll have to wait and see what they have in store for us :) .
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Wayupnorth
    Wayupnorth Posts: 40
    Hmmm, I might just have a go too....

But before I show myself up, how suited do you think the course might be for a 40-year old race virgin on a 15 year old bike with pretty limited front & rear suspension?

The bike is good cross-country, but I wouldn't take it to a modern trail centre with such limited travel.

Any idea how much climbing there is at Lee Quarry?

Cheers.
  • Whytepeak
    Wayupnorth

The trails there are rocky (it is a quarry after all), and some of the descents can be quite rough, more a case of small rocks and bumps rather than big drops and jumps. So you should be alright on any bike, I get round fine on my hardtail, and some maniacs race rigid bikes.
    Having said that, the trails are unforgiving, I've had enough punctures, and seen a fair few mechanicals, so you should be confident in your bike, you can see the severity of the trails there on youtube. On the plus side, there are no roots anywhere, and the absence of trees means that you can see well ahead, and have time to react to any obstacles.
    The climbs (and descents) tend to be short and steep, though I can't say for sure what the course will be like. In the race you'll find your own pace, it's a fun event, if you enter the 'have a go hero' catergory, most are just out for a bit of fun, and it usually proves to be just that.
  • Wayupnorth
    Whytepeak,

Thanks for the advice.

Off came my ancient Conti Cross-Countries (reluctantly), and on went some shiny new Panaracers today.

So, all being well I'll be doing a lap or two!

What on earth am I letting myself in for...
  • Whytepeak
    Wayupnorth wrote:
    What on earth am I letting myself in for...

The most difficult course yet, though I didn't know that yesterday! :shock:

That was some race, though that 'off the brakes' long descent and the new berms were very welcome :) .
  • Wayupnorth
    Well done ! Which course did you try?

I never made it...

Nice new tyres, but rear suspension disintegrated early this morning. Still not found the spring!!

Lucky escape really.
  • Whytepeak
    Sounds like a lucky escape!

I'm in the 'Lads' catergory since I'm a young'un :roll: But the racing is pretty fierce, and I managed to get third. Looking forward to the next race now. :D
  • I'm aiming to do one of these before the end of the year.
    I've ridden up there two evenings now, only ever 1 lap, with lots of stops, but also lots of little loops on the ~1min downhill sections. There are 4 or so of them, looking at the race map these are what you miss out in the lowest class - they are the best bits! Do each one at least once before continuing on the "lap"

My bike may as well be full rigid, the tange elastomer forks are borked, and the elastomer replaced with a stack of 6 tap-washers to stop the tyre catching on the crown. Even roge the gnaly rocky black route back off the top, but its so slow and bumpy that the faster longer red route down is so much more fun.

Multple laps will be hard, as the main climb up is huge.

I've not raced for almost 15 years... it will be hard for sure but I hope fun. Although last time I raced it was on the same bike...and its not been used in over a decade too until 6 weeks ago.

August and septembers events left, not sure which one I'll manage.

http://www.brownbacksracing.co.uk/race_ ... index.html
    Washed up Has Been
  • sparrowlegs78
    I'm doing the one in August, not ridden at Lee Quarry in well over a year, I really need to go back and see if I can actually manage now I've entered the bloody race lol
    Caz xx
  • gg8tcw
    I enjoyed the Have a go heroes race, despite getting a puncture on the first lap :(

It was a hard route, especially going the wrong way around and going up the black downhill
  • August and septembers events left, not sure which one I'll manage.

http://www.brownbacksracing.co.uk/race_ ... index.html

filled in a entry, going Sunday hoping to enter on the day .... its going to be painful.
    Washed up Has Been