New Wheel Advice

col.sarah
col.sarah Posts: 38
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Hi,

I am relatively new to road cycling but have been bitten by the bug badly.

Anyway I recently bought some new Fulcrum 1 racing wheels. I would like to continue using my Shimano RS20's for every day riding and in the winter.

In order to change between the two I think there are two options. Change the rear cassette over on the wheels when I want to change. Seems simple enough but needs some special tools?

Or I could put a new cassette on the Fulcrums and change the chain over when I change wheels.

Which option is advisable / easier to do?

Thanks

Colin

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Put a new cassette on the Fulcrums is the easiest. You would still need a lockring tool. You can use a claw hammer and an old chain as a chainwhip if you want to remove the cassette from your old wheels. Both lockring tool and chainwhip are worth getting for your tool kit anyway.
    You could also look to see if you want different gear ratios before getting a new cassette. You could maybe use a closer one for the good wheels.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    John.T wrote:
    Put a new cassette on the Fulcrums is the easiest. You would still need a lockring tool. You can use a claw hammer and an old chain as a chainwhip if you want to remove the cassette from your old wheels. Both lockring tool and chainwhip are worth getting for your tool kit anyway.
    You could also look to see if you want different gear ratios before getting a new cassette. You could maybe use a closer one for the good wheels.

+1, thats what I would do, but you may have to twiddle your gears whenever you swap wheels, still easier than swapping a cassette though.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • John.T
    You should not have to adjust anything. I have 4 sets of wheels that move between 2 bikes with no trouble. You don't see them resetting mechs on the Tour (except for a crafty tow).
  • col.sarah
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I was told by someone that the chain would marry to the old cassette and using a different one may cause the chain to jump. Not so?

Very interesting comment about the ratios too. Never even considered that. Do the wheels and hubs really make that much difference? It would be really cool if they did!

Colin
  • John.T
    Providing the chain is not too worn you should have no trouble. Change it before it gets to 1% longer and you will be fine. if it is already more than that you should consider 2 new cassettes and a chain.
  • col.sarah
    Thanks John

That's reassuring.

Just one final thing. Do I need to get different ratios on the rear cassette? Was just going to get the same ratios.

Colin
  • John.T
    No you don't need to get different ratios. If what you have suits the riding you intend the new wheels for then get the same. It was just something to consider. Back when I was using 7sp I had 13/26 on the old wheels and 13/23 on the race ones to get closer ratios. Now I have 12/27 and 12/23 or 11/21.