Cytech Home Mechanic Course - anyone done it?

Jacabus
Jacabus Posts: 49
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Getting a bit tired of taking my bike to the LBS to fix my bodges. Thinking about doing the Cytech Home Mechanic course at Aylesbury. It will cost £250 - basically has anyone done it, is it worth it?

Any feedback would be great.

Cheers

Ian.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I wouldn't, not for £250...

www.parktool.com has all the information you need, and that £250 will buy you all the necessary tools, which you'd need anyway. It's really not difficult to fix bikes.
  • chieflordy
    chieflordy Posts: 48
    I did that course in Aylesbury a couple of years ago and would really recommend it. I probably could have leant most of it from a book but personally I find 'hands on' experience as the best way to learn.
    The tutor was an ex-british team mechanic who was very knowledable and with just 3 of us on the course we got a good level of attention. He also did his best to meet any of our requirements, for example I have campag equipped bikes at home so they made sure one was available for me to work on there.
  • marin_maniac
    marin_maniac Posts: 513
    whyamihere wrote:
    I wouldn't, not for £250...

www.parktool.com has all the information you need, and that £250 will buy you all the necessary tools, which you'd need anyway. It's really not difficult to fix bikes.

+1

That sort of dosh will buy you all the tools you need and a decent stand with cash to spare
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Bikes are simple machines, even for the most expensive ones (Rohloff an exception of course). Once you understand the principle of a particular item you'd be surprised how easy it is to maintain.

The only big problems you'd have is if you require having to face the BB or headset, then it's the LBS as the tooling is expensive anyhow.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4