Is my RH Tiagra Shifter Broken?

avoidingmyphd
avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
edited July 2010 in Workshop
My Tiagra RH shifter has just stopped working, and I can't see why.

It stopped shifting up (i.e. to smaller cogs).
Then the cable seemed to have gone slightly loose / like the inner was now 5mm too long - 5mm of inner was visible/protruding from the shiter at the point where the cable enters the shifter. Normally the black rubber ferrule is snug here, so this is weird.
At this point, I could still get at the cable end through the access hole.
After a mid of meddling, now I can't even get at the cable end. It is higher than the access hole, and whatever I press it stays "one press" too high.

Can anyone help?!

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Sounds like your derailleur isn't pulling the cable through. This could be becasue:

1) the spring is knackered
    2) the derailleur mechanism is seized or stiff
    3) the cable is not running smoothly in the outer.

3) most likely
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    3) most likely I would agree.

Pressing the gear lever to move to a smaller sprocket releases cable tension... if there's no cable tension, but the mech isn't pulling the [now 'slack'] cable then either the mech is farked or the cable is jammed.

Pull the cable out, check for kinks, lube lightly and re-insert. Also check the BB cable guide for crud.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Ben6899 wrote:

Pull the cable out, check for kinks, grease lightly and re-insert. Also check the BB cable guide for crud.

Usually the easiest way to do this is to shift the chain onto the largest sprocket, then without turning the cranks, release all the tension in the cable by pressing the shift lever to make the derailleur move towards the small cog (it won't get there since you aren't moving the chain). This usually allows enough slack cable to get the outer out of one of the cable stops. Once this is free, you can slide the outers along the cable at will.

This saves undoing the cable and losing the indexing and/or cutting off the cable end ferrule.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    I suggest you disconnect the cable from the rear mech.
    Then you can move the mech by hand to see if it is free to move and check the shifter / cable by pulling on the end of the inner wire while actuating the shifter through all the positions.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!