Tenerife stages in the Vuelta

ombwiri
ombwiri Posts: 18
edited August 2010 in Pro race
Has the Vuelta ever visited Tenerife? I can imagine that the mountain would make for a brutal climb.

Can anyone recommend a site with maps of past tours that would show stage routes?

Comments

• Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136
    The 1988 Vuelta started on Tenerife, I think that's the only time they visited the Canary Islands. But they didn't really do justice to the great climbs on the island. The first stage was a long (17k) prologue and the third stage a 34k TTT. The second stage did include some mountains:
    Puerto de Erjos (1st catergory)
    a9ycz7.gif
    and the Puerto de las Canteras (2nd categoty)
    (no profile)

If they visit Tenerife again, this would be a good climb:
    http://www.salite.ch/canadas3.asp
    or this one
    http://www.salite.ch/teide2.asp
  • ombwiri
    Yeah I was thinking that Teide would be a fantastic climb. It doesn't get very steep anywhere but you can go from sea level to 2350m over 40-60km.

It would look fabulous as well, from costal tropical, through the tree line and up to the national park.
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    Any GT could easily spend a few days on Tenerife and have some great racing. Could produce a great prologue course in Santa Cruz, and could get a couple of stages out of different routes using the climbs.

How about a Tour start there, eh?
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    ombwiri wrote:
    Yeah I was thinking that Teide would be a fantastic climb. It doesn't get very steep anywhere but you can go from sea level to 2350m over 40-60km.

TTT? 40k climb, round a traffic cone, 40k descent...
    Rich
  • ombwiri
    RichA wrote:
    ombwiri wrote:

You wouldn't even need to do that. Just go coast to coast. Up one side and down the other.

Dgh, you're right. Tenerife almost looks like it was designed for bike racing. You could run pretty much any type of stage you wanted on it.
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    ombwiri wrote:
    RichA wrote:
    ombwiri wrote:

You wouldn't even need to do that. Just go coast to coast. Up one side and down the other.

Dgh, you're right. Tenerife almost looks like it was designed for bike racing. You could run pretty much any type of stage you wanted on it.

When I first went there as a 15 year old, I remember thinking it had other advantages too
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Its a great place. After all I was born there. ;)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Rather than Vuelta stages, why not even a regional week-long tour? Almost all Spanish Regions have their own UCI-level stage race, but as far as I know note Tenerife?GranCanarias/Islas Canarias. Or is there one?