Putting a tag-along on a roof rack?

othello
othello Posts: 578
I'm after some suggestions on the best way to transport a tag-along!

We have a Thule roof rack with 2 Thule ProRide bike mounts (which are fantastic by the way). Up to now this has suited us fine, as the kids have been in bike seats on the back of the bikes.

Now our eldest is on a tag along and we want to take that with us. Thule don't seem to sell a roofrack adaptor, so I'm looking for suggestions?
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

Comments

• ianlash
    ianlash Posts: 147
    I have the same dilema. Anyone have any ideas please?
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    You've yet to have a response, so I'll pitch in.

I've yet to see a good solution, apart from having a really long wagon/van/estate that will fit it in. I do know quite a few friends who have the same dilemma.

I hate to say it, but it was one of the things I thought about when I went the bike+TrailGator option over a tagalong. (And no... I don't sell them or get royalties or anything).
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Soreknees
    Soreknees Posts: 68
    I turned the bars 90 degrees, folded the towbar underneath, took the pedals off and pushed the saddle in as far as it would go. Put this upright into the boot 1st then everything else was built around/on top of it.
  • Ruffy
    Ruffy Posts: 15
    We use the Atera Giro AF roof mounted bike carriers and managed without difficulty to carry a tagalong. I think this is proabably down to the design of the Atera as I simply used both wheel blocks on the single wheel and the downtube clamp took care of the frame.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
  • ianlash
    ianlash Posts: 147
    Ruffy wrote:
    We use the Atera Giro AF roof mounted bike carriers and managed without difficulty to carry a tagalong. I think this is proabably down to the design of the Atera as I simply used both wheel blocks on the single wheel and the downtube clamp took care of the frame.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Thanks. Looks like I will be making a purchase then. Previously put it in the boot (hadn't thought of removing the pedals, so thanks for that tip) but the more I can put on the roof, the more bags my wife can squeeze in the boot.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
  • A friend recently had a bike taken from the roof of his car. He has Thule Pro ride 591, the clamp was simply forced open up to release the bike.
    I have four Atera Giro AF bike carriers and thought I’d check how secure they actually are. To my astonishment, I found when the key was turned to locked, I could still unscrew the handle and release the clamps. Om all four!

I’d like to know if other users of the Atera Giro AF have checked the locks actually lock.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I've got the Halfords Advanced racks (Thule Freeride) and our Trek Tag along will fit. Just make sure you anchor the rear wheel down securely, then clamp the frame.

I've fitted it with the rack 'on the floor' checking all 4 bikes fit. Off to Wales soon so will let you know if it stays attached.