Panniers on a Specialized Tarmac Pro

tmorison
tmorison Posts: 5
edited July 2010 in The workshop
Hi.

I know this sounds crazy, but I was hoping to find some panniers to attached to my Tarmac Pro for when I do some touring with a friend.

This is my only bike and I don't have the space for another. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Probably do-able, but not necessesarily recommended. You don't have any mountings for the rack, but could consider a seatpost mounted one, although that might mean swapping carbon seatpost for an alu one. There are, I think, clamp-on racks available, but I don't know how advisable their use is with carbon frames. Might also be an issue with clearance from the panniers to your heels. Have probably given you more food for thought than answers....be interested to hear what you end up doing.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Using a seatpost clamp with rack fixings (and poss swapping for an alu seatpost) like this:
    mpart%20spt102.jpg
    and a TubusQuick Release rack adapter
    tubus-qr-axle-kit-med.jpg
    and a Tubus rear rack (various models)
    tubus%20vega%2006%20med.jpg
    you will be able to fit the rack to most bikes without any contact directly with the frame. The QR adapter also moves the rack back a few cm so increasing heel clearance. If you buy from somewhere with a friendly returns policy* you can try it out at no risk other than post cost.

(*all internet sellers have to accept the goods back if unwanted within 7 days, but some sellers like Wiggle make the process completely painless in comparison to some others).
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    LOOK! Just seen this on another thread:

Axiom Streamliner Road DLX. No mounts needed, sits 4cm behind dropout.
    171285;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg
    available here for £29.99