defy 3.5 not allowing full range of gears

peterhdoherty
peterhdoherty Posts: 8
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Hi I am just new to cycling and have just bought a new gaint defy 3.5, the looks and feels great but when riding I am constantly having to change up and down on the front crankset because for example when in the middle ring at the front i cannot go to the outside cog at the back with out it clicking on the front derailleur and the same when in the top ring at the front I cannot go to the larger cogs at the back. has any one any ideas or is this just normal.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You do know that you can trim the front mech right? That usually stops this from happening.
    More problems but still living....
  • a.palmer
    a.palmer Posts: 504
    Because you're not supposed to use big/big or small/small. It gives you a chain line far from straight and causes excessive wear to the chain and chainrings
  • Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry to sound stupid but can you explain how to trim the front? is this by ajusting the cable?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You aren't necessarily supposed to be able to use the "full range of gears".

A lot depends on crankset, chainstay length, etc. What you are experiencing is totally normal.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    A.Palmer wrote:
    Because you're not supposed to use big/big or small/small. It gives you a chain line far from straight and causes excessive wear to the chain and chainrings

True, but he's talking about middle/small anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry to sound stupid but can you explain how to trim the front? is this by ajusting the cable?

On your left gear lever if you push it as if you're changing to a larger chainring, but instead of a pushing it all the way across just push it about half way and you should feel it click. The front mech should have moved out a little, but not onto the next chainring. Then when you go to change down to the smaller chainring the first click should undo the trim and the 2nd take you to the smaller ring.
    More problems but still living....
  • Thanks I will try that this evening and let you know, just to check my bike is using Shimano 2300 shifters and Derailleur, Is this option to trim available on this shifter?
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    Trimming should be avialable on the 2300: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 683910.pdf
  • Thanks for this document, I tried last night to trim the front but i do not feel the first click, i can hold it over but when i let go it just comes back, I must be doing something wrong, I will have another go tonight.
    Thanks to everyone who has repiled its much apreciated. I will let you know how i get on tonight.
  • CarleyB
    CarleyB Posts: 475
    Can you not take it to your lbs for a check over?
    Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
    http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
    http://www.go-ride-byca.org
  • Hi Tried to use the trim last night again but had no joy with it , even got a friend to try it as well , maybe the gaint defy 3.5 has not got this option? yes i can take it to lbs but i don't like making a fuss, if i thought there was something i could do first i would try it.