New disc brake, old controls

synthasandwich
synthasandwich Posts: 38
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I firstly appologise if this is a daft question but I am new to mountain biking.

I have V brakes but hope to have a disc brake at the front. I want to use the same brake lever from the V brake ( so I don't have to swap all the gear controls too. ) Is there a problem with doing this- I will be switching to Avid 5 disc brakes if this helps.

Any ( constructive ) help- thanks in advance.

Mark.

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I use Avid BB5s with Deore V brake levers, they work just fine. I have previously used them with cheap Avid cable levers and that worked fine too (changed them for colour scheme)

I have set up the wifes bike using the all in one (gear and brake levers) Alivio controls with Avid BB5s too, this also works perfectly.

You can get Avid Speed dial levers which will help with modulation, but I have never used them as I am too poor :(
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Your levers should work fine with all cable discs.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Did I get too carried away with examples to actually say that it would work fine? :oops:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    They are definitely cable disc brakes (BB5), and not hydraulics (Juicy/Elixir/Code) aren't they?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Hi All,

Man, what a relief as I too am utterly skint. Kiblams, Tom- thanks for putting my mind at rest... Kiblams- don't hold back, the more examples means the more proof that I will be OK :D Sorry Bails, meant to say they are cable ones- should have noted this.

This is good news as at least this minor updrade may be realistically achievable. I can then upgrade in stages.

Brill

Mark.