Panniers on a Specialized Tarmac Pro

tmorison
tmorison Posts: 5
edited March 2011 in Workshop
Hi.

I know this sounds crazy, but I was hoping to find some panniers to attached to my Tarmac Pro for when I do some touring with a friend.

This is my only bike and I don't have the space for another. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks

Comments

• Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    It doesn't just sound crazy......

Perhaps you can hire a touring or audax bike?
  • tmorison
    tmorison Posts: 5
    I thought that might be the case - thanks!
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    You could do it with P-clips and a normal rack. Whether or not you should is another question, but I don't see why not....

If you have a warranty, you'd probably be invalidating it though.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I think it is possible. I have attached them to my Allez but there are some lugs on the drop outs. However when I was looking into it the LBS said they have attached racks to bikes without lugs. For the top part of the rack you can get a seat post clamp that has threaded rack lugs on it made by M Part not sure about the bottom part.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Weejie54
    P clamps on carbon seat stays of a 3 grand plus racing steed?

Rather you than me!
    Moreover, the tight geometry might mean that your heels would catch the panniers.
  • gethmetal
    gethmetal Posts: 208
    Similar work has been done before...

world

:lol::lol::lol:

...but I don't think it should happen again.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    It can be done on an Allez so don't see why not.

IMG_5898-PS.jpg
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12702169

If the geometry is the same, which I think they are, you'll want to use an M:Part seat post clamp, as above, as the brakes get in the way. You can then mount at the bottom using a special Quick Release system.
  • Weejie54
    It can be done on an Allez so don't see why not.

Hmm...and aluminium framed bike which can be bought for around £600 and a carbon framed bike which can cost around four grand, likely being taken beyond its warranty limits.
    The risk factor might be a bit different.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Whilst the M-Part collar helps at the top, I'd avoid anything that clamps / puts load through the carbon seatstays - unless you get the size and clamping spot-on, you'll either crush or wear-out the seatstays and kiss your warranty goodbye. The only option is to find a rack that puts the load directly into the wheel axle / clamped by the QR.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Weejie54
    Whilst the M-Part collar helps at the top, I'd avoid anything that clamps / puts load through the carbon seatstays - unless you get the size and clamping spot-on, you'll either crush or wear-out the seatstays and kiss your warranty goodbye. The only option is to find a rack that puts the load directly into the wheel axle / clamped by the QR.

And I rather suspect that attaching the rack to a seatpost clamp will place the panniers higher than seatstay bosses. Looking at the Allez, it appears that the load is set far back (possibly to avoid the heels catching) and the platform might even be sloping rearwards.
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    FWIW, Tubus offer Q/R attachment kits for some of their racks (including the Ti ones), and an OMM rear rack would certainly work too. IIRC Wiggle have the seatclamps with rack eyelets.

If it was me I'd not do it as the bike probably won't handle well with much weight out the back, and if you don't need to carry much then it ought to be possible to get away with a saddlebag of some sort, plus maybe a barbag - but don't use one of the Ortlieb brackets with cable attachment if you have carbon bars!

IME road bikes handle much better with low front panniers than with anything at the rear, but this is even less likely to be safe with carbon forks. You definitely don't want to clamp stuff to the CF blades and possibly have them snap.

Then there's the issue of suitable gearing, or the lack thereof.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    The Allez did the job, obviously Carbon has different properties and I would avoid P-clips and go down the M:Part clamp and QR axle mounting options.

The OP may not be looking to go fully loaded like I did. I would not recommend tackling major climbs on a fully loaded double either! It was tough!

As for handling, a roadie can become quickly unstable. I noticed this a few times when we loaded up with liquids and food near the end of some days & when I do my shopping at home! The key is to keep the weight down. I took my set-up full loaded down the Alps at 50mph without to much concern, it felt pretty stable, even with the tent etc on.

If the OP doesn't need to load up, maybe a caradice saddle bag will do the job.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Buy a trailer.
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    The last post was probably meant as sarcasm, but it *would* actually work!

FWIW, I went touring on a CF Specialized Allez in the Alps in 1991. This had an alu fork and I used a Blackburn low rider front rack with ~20l front panniers attached with P-clips at the fork ends and the Blackburn clamps at mid-blade. This handled well, but they are lousy racks and I've broken 3 or 4 of them in various places. I also had a Blackburn MTN rack at the back attached with P-clips top and bottom to the CF stays. This was only there to carry some stuff that wouldn't fit in the front bags, mainly a pair of light shoes and my tent, plus a bit of food sometimes. I used a double crankset as this was my only option with the then-new STI levers, and definitely DO NOT recommend this for touring.

More recently, I needed to camp for a few days on the way to an audax ride in Victoria and ended up using an OMM rear rack with a Blackburn monostay adapter on my Bianchi road frame. With all the weight on the rear handling was much, much worse than with low front bags. I recommend not doing this unless you are only wanting to carry light, bulky stuff. If it's light and compact a saddlebag will be better IMO. Or a trailer...
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    satanas wrote:
    The last post was probably meant as sarcasm, but it *would* actually work!

No sarcasm intended. Personally I don't like riding with panniers and if I started touring again I'd buy a trailer, either a Bob or an Extrawheel. While holding everything together with P clips might work, not something I'd do to a carbon frame. Also, I'd probably want bigger tyres than the 25mm I could squeeze onto a race frame.
  • djcuffe
    djcuffe Posts: 1
    Try a rack by Old Man Mountain, most of the weight goes on the axle with bracket providing lateral support going onto the seat stay. I'm sure you could adapt this so it attached to the seatpost if you were concerned.

Good luck.

Maybe drop Spec an email to see if its covered on warranty but fear not.