Bike after the crash.

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Well I've took a load of pics, some of everything.

Is the pedal salvageable?

Also is the frame buggered? As you can see, on the (seatstays?) the wheel is centered almost under the braked, yet the (chainstays), the wheel is right to the side, unless this is just due to the buckled wheel?

Would the wheel be fixable?

Also is the rear mech hanger bent?

Anyway here is a load of pics for yer to judge. And the dent in the frame.

th_DSC00245.jpg
th_DSC00244.jpg
th_DSC00243.jpg
th_DSC00242.jpg
th_DSC00241.jpg
th_DSC00240.jpg
th_DSC00239.jpg
th_DSC00238.jpg
th_DSC00237.jpg
th_DSC00236.jpg
th_DSC00235.jpg
th_DSC00234.jpg
th_DSC00233.jpg
th_DSC00232.jpg
th_DSC00231.jpg
th_DSC00230.jpg
th_DSC00229.jpg
th_DSC00228.jpg
th_DSC00227.jpg
th_DSC00226.jpg

Comments

• freehub
    Anyone? :(

Anyone know if the pedal is still usable?
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Have you tried clipping in?

If the bearings run smooth and it clips and unclips ok can't see a problem, except cosmetic.

Top tube doesn't look horrendous, rest of the bike really needs putting in a jig to tell though.

Mech hangers can look straight but not be or vice versa, should be able to pick one up cheap though.

My initial thoughts would be, get the wheel trued, get it in a jig then see what doesn't work correctly, if anything, anymore.

Helmets u.s for sure, handlebars look a little suspect too, would change them myself after such a hard fall anyway just for piece of mind.
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Heart wrenching photos, Will. :cry: The 13th photo down does make me worry about the frame being bent, but I really hope it's just the bent wheel and just the way the photo is.

Looks like the pedal has been ground down quite a bit - right down the the hole for the wear plate to be screwed on. But, if they function properly they wouldn't be first on my new parts list.

Replace what has to be replaced, get the frame checked, and then worry more about the cosmetics. I'm pretty sure the saddle with hold up for example, but the bars would be a bit worrying. Would probably be okay, but I wouldn't want to risk an epic faceplant for the cost of new bars.

Check the fork crow / steerer junction just to be on the safe side.

I remember when I dented the top tube on one of my bikes. It was so upsetting. I couldn't imagine doing it to my CAAD.

Best of luck man. Keep us posted.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Just imagine what this frame has been through to get into this condition. The metal frame has an element of elastic distortion - so it will have deflected further in the crash than is now evident from the pictures - if you had a carbon frame there wouldnt even be this discussion - think about that as you get back on this bike, and you may consider even doing that again

there is a shop here with a choice of 3 different spec CADD 9's - all new all straight framed!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    You really need to get it looked at by a good shop/mechanic or even a framebuilders to see if it's straight. If it was a steel frame then it could be repaired - unfortunately it's something you can't do with alu. Hopefully it's just the buckled wheel that's making the frame seem out of line

Bob Jackson's are just over the road from Bramley train station - you could get there easily from Selby if you want it checking over in a jig
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    after crashing my bike I initially went down the repair route & then decided it just wasn't worth it as I didn't trust the frame.

Expensive but it was the right thing to do & bits of battered bike looks good on my garage wall.
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    edited July 2010
    it might be the photo,s but it looks like the rear triangle of the frame has been knocked out of line (7th pic down),the seat stays are definitely out of line, cant see the side of the mech but if you go down hard on the RH side the mech tends to hit the floor first and push the rear triangle over even though the replaceable mech hangers are meant to break or bend before this happens, depending on what particular aluminium alloy the frame is made of it might be possible to straighten but i doubt it as most aluminium alloys used on bike frames will stress up or break if you try and bend them even a small amount , so i,d get a new frame, its a bummer i know but with a bent frame the bike will never be right
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd get in touch with Cannondale and see if they have a crash replacement policy. You might get a new frame for much less than RRP. having said that I tried with Kuota and they only have a crash replacement policy for frames less than a year old.
    More problems but still living....
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    It does look like the rear triangle is out of shape, but then again, none of the photos are straight, so it may just be the photographs.

Must have been a crash at pace! Especially with the amount of metal that's missing from the pedal!

As for the wheel, if it's just buckled, then yes, it would be fixable by taking it to a reputable wheelbuilders.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    the frame looks well bent on the photos. i wouldnt trust the top tube once its deformed it will loose a lot of strength. no telling what happened to the fork. dont trust it on a big hill.get a new frame at least.
  • freehub
    I crashed at 26mph.

I'll try take some straight photos and contact Cannondale.

Anyone know of any good bike shops in York that would be able to check the frame?
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    you cant see the metal structure inside. there could be fatigue started even if its not visibly cracked.
  • freehub
    Gutted, no insurance cover or anything.

Can't afford new bike, I dunno what to do tbh.

Apparently Cannondale won't warranty it for crash damage.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    freehub wrote:
    I crashed at 26mph.

I'll try take some straight photos and contact Cannondale.

Anyone know of any good bike shops in York that would be able to check the frame?

York Cycleworks?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • drewfromrisca
    drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
    Have to admit my 1st impressions were that it was bent. Sorry dude that sucks. Having just had a bike break on me I know how you feel but I was lucky that it was bikes fault and replaced. If I had a spare bike I'd loan you it but alas I don't!
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If I had a spare bike I'd loan you it but alas I don't!

No need. Will has 3 bikes.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    Well actually, I have 2 and a half bikes.

Commuter is not safe for club rides, and my "winter bike", is 9 speed and the rear wheel is unsafe and would certainly cause an accident at speed it wobbles that much, dodgy freehub or hub on it.
  • redddraggon
    Nout wrong with 9 speed, all you need then is a rear wheel for your Genesis.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    I might do just that, since I'll have to sell that bike to fund repairs.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If its just the frame that's borked (wheels, mechs, etc ok) then keep a close eye on ebay for a replacement frame. You should be able to pick something good up for a couple of hundred quid.
    More problems but still living....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    amaferanga wrote:
    If its just the frame that's borked (wheels, mechs, etc ok) then keep a close eye on ebay for a replacement frame. You should be able to pick something good up for a couple of hundred quid.

Still quite a lot of ridiculously cheap frames in the Ribble clearance - many well under £100 with maybe minor cosmetic defects.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • anto164
    And i'm surprised that Cannondale won't do you a cheap frame!

Every bike manufacturer i've used (Although they were MTB brands) would give you a large discount on a new frame direct from them due to damage..

I'd possibly email cannondale europe direct and explain your situation, and see what they'd do.
  • freehub
    Well from what I've heard from some bike shops:

Frame is a wright off.
    Rear wheel is well out of true and potentially write off.
    Would not risk using the forks again (due to being in such a crash, never know if they've being cracked)
    Bars are a write off due to being bent.
    Rear mech is borked
    Pedal is borked
    Right shifter is pretty ruined, not to mention it had problems shifting.

It's not good, CAAD9 is no more.

I don't want to downgrade to some cheapo frame, I've got an Aether that I can use as a temp bike till I can afford to get a new CAAD9.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    If you're the first owner (and have the warranty card I guess) then Cannondale do have a crash replacement policy where you pay some % of retail. Probably best to ask a Cannondale dealer rather than Cannondale direct as it'll go through them.
  • anto164
    Or failing that, the CAAD10 will be out soon!

What a perfect reason to upgrade! (If you can afford to)
  • freehub
    I'll be looking for a new bike soon, unsure of the price tag, but can't think if I should get it off the internet or shop, but obviously, shops have smaller choice, but I need to get the size right.
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    freehub wrote:
    I'll be looking for a new bike soon, unsure of the price tag, but can't think if I should get it off the internet or shop, but obviously, shops have smaller choice, but I need to get the size right.

Sorry to hear about the crash Will. Don't give up just yet though.

Planet X have a two year crash replacement policy. Fantastic bikes that are mega value. Treat yourself, you are no way near as skint as you make out.

I had a Cannondale R1000 CAAD4 Saeco replica that I fell off once and the frame took a beating, I wouldn't buy one again.
  • freehub
    You are sort of correct, if the rent payments for next year on the halls I am in were the same as last year, then I'd be easily able to afford a new bike, but due to them going up, I'm strapped for cash, I've being spending cash carefully. Last thing I bought was new pedals and bar tape, half of that is wrote off.

I've got my eyes on this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... 5#features

Although York Cycleworks can do my a Kinesis frame and get me all set up on the same day, although of course, I cannot afford anything yet, I might get some help with buying a bike I dunno yet.

I would like a CAAD9 again, just cause it's wrote off in one go can't mean they're not good frames, I'm not really planning on crashing again :P

I'm having to get the Genesis Aether out and use that as a temp bike if I can get it working.
  • redddraggon
    freehub wrote:
    I need to get the size right.

Get a 54cm then, not a 56cm
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Cupotea
    Cupotea Posts: 42
    Hey Will, long time forum lurker but this has prompted me to post.

I have a Felt Z65 56cm frame (alu main with carbon back end) and carbon fork sat here with less than a hundred miles on it. I changed it shortly after buying due to it being slightly too small (I'm 6'3") but it's a lovely frame. I also have spare bars and stem.

If it helps you get back on the road then I'm not really looking for more than a few pints in payment. Give me a PM if you want and we'll see what we can sort out.

I'm based in Northwich so not far from you at all.