Tektro Auriga Comp probs

ryan1702
ryan1702 Posts: 40
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
was out last week and brakes started squealin had a look and oil on both discs. Got home cleaned the discs and washed bike to get rid of the oil and found that no more came out, not sure how it got there or where from but anyway now brakes are squealin even more. No more oil but still squealing so not a leak like i first though. think its on the pads. I'm new to disc brakes but know that the pads are probs contaminated with the oil and this is the probs but how do i take them out and replace them? has anyone else had same problem with oil which stopped leaking?
I thought a thought that I thought I had thought but the thought that I had thought wasn't the thought that I had thought I had thought so maybe if I had thought the thought that I thought I thought I wouldn't of thought so much!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so did you replace the pads after cleaning the rotors?

if not then thatis half of the problem.

clean the rotors again with Meths or a suitable cycle disc cleaner.

manuals can be found in the tech links sticky.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ryan1702
    havent replaced the pads, wasnt sure how to remove them and didnt want to break it.

thanks for your help will find the manual now - why didnt i think of tht
    I thought a thought that I thought I had thought but the thought that I had thought wasn't the thought that I had thought I had thought so maybe if I had thought the thought that I thought I thought I wouldn't of thought so much!
  • ryan1702
    i've only had the bike 5 months, how long should the pads last with no problems like this?
  • depends how u ride, what u ride and where and what compound (sorry i know thats not that helpful)

however having had the same brakes i had pads in them for about a year, using about once a week.

if u didnt find the link, to get the pads out, pop you wheel out, at the top nip the two tabs that stick off the pads and the spring, and then push them down and out of the caliper.
  • ryan1702
    i bike daily to commute and also use it at the weekend xc
    thanks for the info
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    If you get oil on the pads,
    Hold pad with a pair of kitchen tongs,light gas cooker (or lighter) and hold pad over the flame and this will burn of any oil solvent etc,let pad cool before touching.Rough pad up with some sand paper and bed-in.
    Done this many a time when I have dropped pads in oil when cleaning the bike.
  • saracen fan
    saracen fan Posts: 389
    ^that does work but its always best to change them, I done this and although it cured the squeeling the brakes were never as powerful as they had been
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1