Pimp my Giant

The Black Adder
The Black Adder Posts: 3
edited July 2010 in Workshop
I am competing in the Nokia Coast to Coast Adventure Race this September which has lots of opportunity for cyclocross racing. As such should I convert my Giant SCR 2.0 to a crosser, if so what do i need to mod? Alternatively, do I try to slog it out on the roads and trails with my heavyweight 10yr old Trek MTB?

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Main difference is frame geometry, which leads to bigger clearances for bigger tires etc and ability to take cantis. Nothing much you can do to change that. You'd probably be better off putting narrower tyres on the MTB, assuming that by cyclocross racing you mean plenty of mud.
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    Yeah I doubt there would be clearance for cyclocross tyres your frame. Most road bike take 25c tyres max, the relaxed ones maybe 28c...but nothing larger.

An option if you'd like a more versatile bike is to buy a cross frame and fork, and take all the parts from your road bike to build it. Most things would work, with the exception of the brake calipers (you need cantis or mini v's on a cross bike)

The planet x uncle john cross is a brilliant bike, i love mine. With road tyres it is a good road bike, with cross tyres it can handle the rough stuff. Frame and fork would set you back £300 or so.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Garry H wrote:
    You'd probably be better off putting narrower tyres on the MTB, assuming that by cyclocross racing you mean plenty of mud.

Wot he said. A slicked up MTB will be better on road than a road bike will be on dirt roads, which is probably what most of the off-road stuff will be.
  • Thanks for the advice guys. Apparently the off-road stuff isn't too technical or muddy (although it is Scotland in September), but i'll see what i can do to bring my Trek into the 21st century. Hopefully, i can shave the weight off the bike a bit as there's nothing dignified about a 38 year old puffing along in lycra.