Rear Brake problem.

Zidane
Zidane Posts: 140
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Since I have had some Juicy 5's on my bike the rear has always been a devil for catching the rotor no matter what I do.
Just had my bike running perfect for the first time in ages and got a flat rear, so fixed that and after putting the wheel back on the brakes are catching again. Badly too as the wheel won't spin freely by hand whilst in the stand.
I just can't seem to get them right, tried all that cps bolt adjustment but that doesn't work.
The front one has been perfect, just the rear thats given me problems.
Almost tempted to take the rear off and get a different brake it's that annoying.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    When refitting the rear wheel you must ensure that you have it squarely and fully in the dropouts, and with the same QR tension.

Don't pull the brake levers with the wheel out either.
  • Zidane
    Thanks. I made sure the wheel was sat nicely in the drop outs and haven't pulled the brake lever.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    COuld simply try taking the wheel out and trying again.
  • Zidane
    Thanks for the reply mate I'm a right numpty when it comes to mechanical stuff. I took the wheel off a little earlier and also the caliper as I thought I'd try a new set of pads but I couldn't get those in and had to put the old ones back in.
    Wheel moves a little more freely but still catches the rotor.
  • Zidane
    Think I will take the wheel off today and try the new pads again see if that works. Just read about easing the pistons back by pushing against the pads with a screwdriver so I'm gonna try that.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    putting new pads in will just have the same result as 1 you will now have to rebed the pads before they will stop rubbing. 2 you often find that it is also needed with the existing pads when refitting the pads.

push pads/pistons them home and re set.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Zidane
    Will pushing the pistons home with a flat screwdriver damage the pads though ?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Not if you're careful.

Pref use old ones tho. Do use the pads to do it tho - you're better to screw the pads up than dent the piston edges
  • Zidane
    Decided to faff about with the caliper and cps bolts rather than attack the pistons and got it not too bad but it's still catching a little bit.
    I'll try taking it out tomorrow and do some heavy braking see if that settles it down.
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    My Juicy 5s were always bad for this sort of thing, never managed to fix it fully. Got rid of them in the end.