Brompton- Fixing a Broken rear spoke on the road

jc4lab
jc4lab Posts: 554
edited July 2010 in Workshop
These look impossible to fix DIY on the road especially a spocket side rear one which is the one most likely to go.Is it easy if you know how?Is there anything you otherwise do as a temporary fix or is is it trip abandonned..?
jc

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Generally you'll be ok with just one spoke missing when there's plenty more, as is generally the case on a Brompton, you'll only have real problems on low spoke count wheels. You may have to loosen off the rear brake slightly to accommodate the inevitable wheel buckle.

How long a trip are we talking?
  • jc4lab
    Aint happened so often but with luggage it was about a day before the buckle got too much..In Holland there was instant help in the next town..In Edindurgh I was turned away in several shops and told to find a Brompton dealer unless i was prepared to wait for one to be made. (I now carry a couple of spares always)Its a thing thats stops me going to remote locations and wish I could DIY
    jc
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Not sure if it will work with a Brompton but can see no reason why not:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=20155
  • jc4lab
    Thanks.Not a total cycle only trip,but would love to get a RTW air ticket and take the brommiie .Spoke repairs are the only thing I need to know to be confident to go anywhere.Just had the wheel rebuilt.Spoke tightness checks and prevention are prob best but find that my 200lb weight plus luggage plus rough roads and pavements and locks through wheels soon take their toll. .Sometimes think Uri geller has an eye on my spokes .
    jc