Great Glen Cycle route

cougie
cougie Posts: 22,512
In September I'm doing this : http://www.scotlandcoasttocoast.com/ and it looks like a fair bit of the cycling is along the Great Glen cycle route.

They advise either a mountain bike, or a cyclocross bike for this. I've got the latter - but just debating tyre choice. Cant get up there to check the route out but I'm thinking about some stout 25mm or 28mm roady tyres. Theres 60 miles of road cycling and about 25 miles of off road - so gravel tracks and canal paths ? Round here I happily ride my road bike along the gravelly cyclepaths on 23mms.

Has anyone ridden that bit and what did you use ?

Cheers !

Comments

• mykaloon
    mykaloon Posts: 86
    I picked up a bit of the Great Glen Way last year joining from Spean Bridge up to Fort Augustus before we teed off and heading on over the Corrieyairack Pass.

This was done on a hardtail MTB. From memory the route comprised hard packed and relatively smooth forest tracks with some bits through wooded areas with exposed tree roots then fairly smooth pathways skirting the Caledonian canal.

No rough stuff or major potholes although it was slow progress through the tree rooted bits. Didn't help being fully loaded with rear panniers!
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    cougie wrote:
    In September I'm doing this : http://www.scotlandcoasttocoast.com/ and it looks like a fair bit of the cycling is along the Great Glen cycle route.

They advise either a mountain bike, or a cyclocross bike for this. I've got the latter - but just debating tyre choice. Cant get up there to check the route out but I'm thinking about some stout 25mm or 28mm roady tyres. Theres 60 miles of road cycling and about 25 miles of off road - so gravel tracks and canal paths ? Round here I happily ride my road bike along the gravelly cyclepaths on 23mms.

Has anyone ridden that bit and what did you use ?

Cheers !
    Looking at the route, there's only a short stretch along the Great Glen Way. I did the Great Glen 7 years ago now (ouch!) in conjunction with Top Half of WHW on a rigid mtn bike. That stretch is pretty much hard packed forest gravel road, certainly a road bike will be be fine, though probably be happier with 25mm that real skinny tyres.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Perfect ! Thanks for your help !