stelaking
stelaking Posts: 80
edited July 2010 in Track
Any one any information of meets, near leicester. wood like to get into it
rideing more drinking less 2007 good year

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    You'd be more likely to get a response if you ask on the track section of the Veloriders forum - quite a few of the members there ride grass track.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • what is grass track?

i haven't hered of it before tonight
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    the weird median between track racing and cyclo cross.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Usually held on a 400m grass circuit (think back to your school sports day!), ridden with fixed wheel track bikes with knobbly tyres (but no brakes) over short distances (typically 800m or so).
  • I love grass track.I bin doing grass track since i started racing when i was 18.
  • so where and when are these events?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    so where and when are these events?
    See the British Cycling Calendar.
  • thanks
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    There is a grass track at Roundhey Park in Leeds, there was a piece in the local paper about it and them wanting more riders to use it or something.
  • alanf
    alanf Posts: 222
    Have just ridden one at Bredfield in Suffolk. Used a grass track frame (better clearances) with Vittoria diamond tread cross tyres pumped to 80 psi. Gearing was about a 74" 49x18. Track diameter was 250m.
    Grass track is pretty hard, its like riding Herne Hill with someone grabbing your back wheel on the straights (mucho drag) and then getting to the corners to find that someone has spilt Olive oil on them. So you need strength and good bike handling and a high lactate threshold. I thought i was pretty fit as a cross rider until i tried it. Brian Taylor turned up on saturday and mashed everyone. He finished off with a win in the 32 lap 8km which is pure purgatory as an event - bodies everywhere.
    But it was lovely weather , great Cakes and tea and everyone had ahigh old time. They even had some trike races-and you thought testers were weird!
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    hi, im riding the mildenhall grass track festival, but i have no grass track tyres :roll:

would anyone have any that they could sell on? dont need to be great, just do the job cheers
    (i'll put this in classifieds, but seeing its relevant to this thread...)
  • alanf
    alanf Posts: 222
    I have a pair of old vittoria cross tyres very narrow for £20
    Alan
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
  • peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    good response so far

thanks for the brutal description, provided no encouragement.

it is on a t most highland games meetings up this way, so a good way to compete without too much commitment
  • peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    is 48 x 18 fairly standard?