Alternative to a GoPro...

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Anyone heard of these?
Drift innovation X170.

£150 here http://pointofviewcameras.co.uk/drift-x ... oduct+feed

comes with helmet mount, goggle mount, bar mount and has a 170° wide angle and outputs the same as a standard GoPro. It even has a remote control :D

now for £150 thats pretty damn competetive I reckon... the GoPro mounts aer quite expensive and fairly crap (apart from the chest mount).

Just been searching for alternatives and this sort of stood out!

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Looks pretty decent. Click on review and there's some videos. I can't see them as I'm at work, but are they any good?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If it's comparable with a standard Gopro it seems too expensive, they've dropped in price a lot lately. My HD only cost me around £200.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • toby_winkler
    toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
    Thought I recognised the name from somewhere, seems like they are just about to release the HD version of that one:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/drift-hd170-test.html

Standard one might come down in price a bit then? I think they tested the standard one on gadget show a while back, is it the one with the rotating lens?
  • Northwind wrote:
    If it's comparable with a standard Gopro it seems too expensive, they've dropped in price a lot lately. My HD only cost me around £200.

How is it to expensive at £150?

With the number of mounts INCLUDED and capability of a 32g sd card i think its well worth the money.

The GoPro Wide is around £110 with no mounts.

I cant see any HD Go Pro for £200 with any mounts...
  • Northwind
    Ebay- HD Gopro with full mounting kit and 16gb SD card, $286 delivered plus import tax, simples. Or maybe I'm just imagining the one I bought :lol:

Or,

http://www.bikechase.co.uk/index.php?p=175272

£125 for the full helmet hero kit, with both helmet mounts and 5 sticky mounts plus the extension arm.

Or

http://pointofviewcameras.co.uk/go-pro- ... oduct+feed

Plus £40 for the chest mount, £134 including a 4gb card. No helmet mounts with this one but you do get one sticky, or you could add the vented helmet mount for £20 if you really want.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Northern Monkey
    The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
    edited July 2010
    So.. it is a good deal then........ :roll:

plus it looks a lot more compact... I hate the fact that my gopro is so fapping huge!
  • Northwind
    Yes, being more expensive than the Gopro makes it a good deal. Obviously. £125 for the equivalent, £154 for something better.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Yes, being more expensive than the Gopro makes it a good deal. Obviously. £125 for the equivalent, £154 for something better.

£125 without a bar mount... which is an extra £20.
  • also.. the gopro only takes 4g. which I find annoying! it fills up way too easily!
  • Northwind
    4gb is 2 hours, battery life on rechargables is barely more than that so I never saw that as an issue, you're going to be fannying around with the camera at some point on a decent ride anyway.

£125 includes a bar mount, ie the bottom of the box taped to your bars ;) Or more seriously, one of the curved sticky mounts attached to the stem. But since bar mount is rubbish compared to a chest mount it's a bit of a moot point really. £155 with a helmet mount, chest mount and 4gb SD card is a considerably better deal than £150 with a helmet mount, bar mount and no SD card.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • well you have your opinion and I have mine :lol:

I'd change my GoPro for one of the drifts in an instant.
  • Northwind
    Out of curiosity, why? What do you reckon it'll do that's worth the change?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The go pro is good i'll give you that!

Its just toooooo big and gets in the way on the bars... if you don't believe me, you should see my knee, its black and blue from hitting it against the screws on the bottom of the mount!

I like the chest mount, but its £40 and could easily crack a sternum if you crashed! The goggle mount on the drift would be a great alternative.

The Drift looks so much more discrete and out of the way. Less of a faff to mount too!

I also like that it takes a bigger card... I have got to about 3.2g on the gopro (which taking into account normal indexing space doesn't leave much left) and thats with being selective on what I record.

You've also got the wrist remote, so you can set it off quickly without faffing about.... this would especially be good for helmet/goggle/rear facing mounts!
  • Northwind
    The remote useful for helmet use? Are you John McCain? :lol:

Not a big fan of their Gopro's official bar mount to be fair, at least not for bar use, it's good on seatposts and the like but for bar use you're better off with a sticky mount on the stem, or a homemade. Or not using barmount at all of course. Really curious how you bash your knees though :lol: Do you not have it right in near the stem?

Just checked the dimensions though, you're saying the Gopro is too big but this thing's almost exactly twice the size without mounts?

Battery life, they claim 4 and a half hours out of a 2.8 AH battery pair which is going to mean if you're using rechargables in theory you're going to run low on battery only about 20 minutes after you'd fill a 4gb card... Totally agree that the capacity should be useful but they'd need to give it a longer life to really make that as good as it could be.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Bash my knees because the mount doesn't fit round oversize bars!

And it doesn't look small... its very sleek in design! the gopro camera might be small, but the case is mahoosive!

not sure what you mean by the john mccain thing btw... i mean you wont have to take you helmet off to make sure ther camera is turned on...
  • Northwind
    Bash my knees because the mount doesn't fit round oversize bars!

not sure what you mean by the john mccain thing btw... i mean you wont have to take you helmet off to make sure ther camera is turned on...

John McCain can't lift his arms above his shoulders ;) Do you not just use the beep?

That is absolutely s**t if it doesn't go round oversize bars, I didn't know that. Does the one for the Drift? It looks the same as the one for my old ATC2K and it was standard bar only.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • yup deffo doesn't go round oversize... i had to put it on the thinner part and "lean" it into the middle while trying to keep it level lol!

The drift looks like the mount should fit oversize, the problem with the gopro is the groove is thin and sharp edged... I could probably file some material off to make it fit tbh, but I shouldn't have to!

And I don't hear a beep!! haha!
  • Northwind
    Yeah, I'll give you that, that's piss-poor really. It's supposed to go up to 35mm too.
    Uncompromising extremist