Front mech shims

Hitby
Hitby Posts: 218
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,
I'm waiting on my new frame to arrive and I reckon that my 34.9 front mech won't fit because of a smaller seat tube size.

I've found in the mech box two shims of different sizes. Do these both go in together or do you just put one in?

I haven't got the frame yet so I can't check but I just wondered if these clamps should have two parts each rather than just one. It's a Deore mech btw.

They look like these, one is thicker than the other

17423.jpg

Thanks for any advice,
Dan

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depends on what you actually have.

Deore has had a few changes over the years.

you will just have to see if the fit in/around the mech band.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thye will have the size marked on them they shim it down to, you need both marked to the same size as the frame, most LBS will have a few left over from fitting front mechs to 34.9's, mine did, got a pair for the daughter for free.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hitby
    Thanks Nick, I'm sure they'll reduce it but the inside of the clamp will no longer be round if you see what I mean. I just wondered if they were normally installed as a pair or in singles.

edit: Thanks Simon, I'll ask in the LBS then
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hitby

a pair or 2 pairs depending on what you have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hitby
    Thanks guys