Marzocchi 44 Lower post mount issue

raymenrh
raymenrh Posts: 53
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a set of 44 tst 2's that came with my bike. I've just had them serviced by windwave. Ive got them back and gone on a few rides and now my front caliper is pulling away from the fork. I have tried to retighten the bolt but, it tightens about a turn then loosens. It seems the thread is shot on the fork lower post mount attachment.

I think I know the answer to the problem. It involves either a new set of fork lowers or a new set of forks. I would take being the fork lowers for these cheep forks cost near enough as much as replacement same model forks then I may as well start looking at new forks. Firstly would anyone know if I have a cat in hells chance of getting this sorted under the fork warranty (the forks are 18 months old) and has anyone any miracle cures that may work ?
Big Rich of The Cornwall Mountainbike Club
http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
Steeds: Full Suss - The Reign FCN 13
Hardtail - The Pig FCN 9

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    talk to windwave.

it may be fixable with a helicoil.

look on Ebay for some forks/lowers that you can use.

the reason is do not like post mount.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    A friend of mine stripped his thread on his fox float,there was still enough thread left to screw in a 6mm threaded bar,popped his disc brake mount on then he secured the mount using a bolt screwed on to the threaded bar..simple.

His top mount bolt was fine this happened to his bottom mount bolt thread..
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is why I still prefer IS mounts and adaptors.
  • raymenrh
    raymenrh Posts: 53
    Thats Not a bad quick fix . I'd still be concerned longterm that it wasn't a complete fix. I've emailed windwave to see what they say about warranty and the cost of replacement lowers.

Secondhand forks is an option, however ive been looking for a secondhand set for a project build with a shorter steerer than this particular bike (with the offending fork issue) and its been difficult to find a set with a long enough steerer. This bike has a mammoth steerer. Ive seen a few good deals on new forks, thanks to the '11 kit just being shown off. I can live with '10 kit. Plus new I'll have a nice amount of warranty in case anything goes wrong with the replacement forks. Hopefully I can get the legs as a warranty replacement. I will await a reply from windwave.
    Big Rich of The Cornwall Mountainbike Club
    http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
    Steeds: Full Suss - The Reign FCN 13
    Hardtail - The Pig FCN 9
  • Hope windwave sort you out fella,
    If not then always try tapping I out for a bigger bolt, or as long as enough thread do as above with threaded bar and a nut??
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    My 44's are the 2010 models,come with a 3year no service warranty,but states in the manual that stripped threads are not a warranty fix if they have not been torqued correctly this goes for v-brake mounts and mount adapters.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Dont mean to insult ur intelligence but is it actually the post threads and not the bolt threads that have been stripped?

Prob a silly question i know but someone has to ask :P
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nicklouse wrote:
    the reason is do not like post mount.
    supersonic wrote:
    This is why I still prefer IS mounts and adaptors.
    Gotta agree on that one.
    I actually miss the days of fitting callipers with shim washers. Back then I could take the calliper off for some maintenance, then when sticking it back on, i knew it was in the right place.
    But I'm cantankerous like that.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yeehaamcgee
    nope IS mount calipers are a pain.

IS fork/frame and Post caliper. then the bit with the thread in is a cheap piece of alloy and not an expensive fork or frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I know what you mean about having the thread in the cheap adapter, but I'm just saying, I also miss the old shim washer method.
    It's a paradox, I know!
  • peachos
    peachos Posts: 47
    i know a few people who have done this. get yourself on ebay and pick up a tap and helicoil set. it will work and cost you about £15.
    Norco Six-One

Manchester Mountain Bikers (search on www.meetup.com)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    usually its just the first one or two threads that are gone.... unless some muppet had badly cross threaded it...

this happened on my Thor's, but the threads are really deep, they go back like 2.5 inches so i just put a nice long bolt in there, rather then the little one i had before, that only went in about 3 threads.

should fix it. If not, a heli coil may be the best option short of new lowers.
    I like bikes and stuff