Rear shock question... + BB question.

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok i'm purposefully being vague here so bare with me...

imagine 2 frames.. (easy).

frame 1 has a slightly shorter stroke but the same eye to eye.

frame 2 has a slightly longer stroke but the same eye to eye.

Am I correct in assuming that frame 2 will be longer travel or is there something else in the equation?

Also, i you have an adjustable BB height, how would you describe:

1) slack BB height
2) steep BB height

Sorry i'm reading through a manual and trying to decipher some of the technology.

Taa

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    A nope nothing to do with it.

you are presuming an identical suspension ratio.

and B neither it may be referring to the BB height when the Head angle is slacker/steeper

slack head angle the frame has to drop so a lower BB height.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ahh right so along with eye to eye and stroke you have to take into account a ratio.. I get you.

Like the 2:1 foes "2 inches of wheel travel damped by 1 inch of shock".
    Need more research :)

right get you again... makes sense as it does list steep slack head angles but the manual made it sound like you can adjust both separately... now that I understand it doesnt lol.

Cheers nicklouse
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

right get you again... makes sense as it does list steep slack head angles but the manual made it sound like you can adjust both separately... now that I understand it doesnt lol.

Cheers nicklouse

again some bikes you can adjust them separately.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nah i think I was reading it wrong... there are a few different shock mount positions which changes the head angle and BB height I think.