Different Leg Lenghts

daveat82
daveat82 Posts: 4
Hi All,

I've been experiencing an aching problem on my left groin for a while, when out on the bike (even after only 10 miles). I also noticed that both pairs of my shorts have significant wear patches only on the inside left. So I went and had a bike fit done and it turns out my left leg is slightly shorter, which would explain the pains and extra pressure on shorts. (the bike fit got my position right, but didn't resolve this issue).

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar? I'm thinking of putting small shims in between the shoe and cleat on the left shoe only, to bridge the gap. Not sure if this is a big no no on shoes.

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• RoadieBob
    RoadieBob Posts: 48
    There's nothing wrong with using shims if you've got different length legs, e.g.

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... ome.xshims

http://www.bikefit.com/prodll3hole.php

However, I would have imagined that a bike fit would eliminate any leg length discrepancy issues. If you've still got discomfort, you should go back and tell them to do the job properly. Also, how do you know you've got a leg length discrepancy? As far as I know, the only way to know for sure is to have an x-ray. Otherwise, you could have a functional difference, i.e. some kind of tightness or imbalance which causes a lesser range of motion in your left leg, even though it is actually the same length.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    +1 for a bike fitting. A good fitter will sort out some shims for your shoes and get you 'even' again.

I know people that have had it done (same problem as you) and it has done wonders for their cycling.
  • daveat82 wrote:
    So I went and had a bike fit done and it turns out my left leg is slightly shorter, which would explain the pains and extra pressure on shorts. (the bike fit got my position right, but didn't resolve this issue).
    Then go back and get it done correctly. Or get your money back.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I have this problem and my chiropractor gave me a lift to put in my shoes. I usually slot it under the insole in my trainers.

Most of my treatment has been paid for on a private medical policy but it isnt hugely expensive to have a couple of consultations and you may save yourself from some nasty problems in later life.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I have this problem and my chiropractor gave me a lift to put in my shoes. I usually slot it under the insole in my trainers.

Most of my treatment has been paid for on a private medical policy but it isnt hugely expensive to have a couple of consultations and you may save yourself from some nasty problems in later life.

An orthotic insert, under your insole wont help you during cycling, as the shortfall then moves to your cleat area!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Still worth the trip to avoid other non-cycle related problems :D
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Still worth the trip to avoid other non-cycle related problems :D

True, mate... I did the same thing, and now have 9mm of shims under my right cleat... Big difference to power transfer when you're sitting in theoptimum position for both legs!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • daveat82
    daveat82 Posts: 4
    Thanks for all the replies, didn't expect to get that much response. I've ordered some shims for under my cleats and through trial and error I'll try and work it out. I'll let you know what I find.

You're right about the bike fitting thing not working, now I've done a bit more research, it would have helped being told about the cleat shims at my fitting by the 'expert'. Trouble is you can't really tell whether a fitting has made a difference until you get on the bike properly.
  • could be flexibility in one leg. try stretching for a few weeks. can solve a lot of pain probs.