sintered or not

bamba
bamba Posts: 856
edited July 2010 in MTB general
been using ss carbons for the last six weeks or so while its been dry, off to cannock tomorrow, being as it wet now, forecast wet, is it worth switching back to sintered do you think ?
On A GT aggressor, with J3's

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I'm assuming you mean the Kevlars?

If so, just leave them, I use them in any condition and only change to sintered during winter, I would just leave the Kevlars in but I have got into the habit of, its winter, put the sintered pads in the brakes
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It does depend on the conditions, I use the kevlars in any conditions but we don't really get that evil gritty mud where I ride, if you're lucky enough to live in one of those places that kills pads then they'll probably not last.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    edited July 2010
    Clay can be quite a killer I thought Northwind, thats what my local hills are made of basically :lol:
  • Northwind
    Dunno, we've only got proper mud here
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bamba
    no, just got the plain black metalic /organic ones in at the mo, sorry not carbon. also have the gold sintered ones for wet conditions of the peaks, was wondering what would suit cannock tomorrow being as its looking a bit wet, if any one has been today for a heads up.
  • peter413
    Definatly put the Sintered in then, I once burned through a set of new organic pads in about 3km when it was really wet :lol:
  • Anyone know what comes as standard with XT?
  • Northwind
    Sintered came in mine. Very long lived but not massively powerful, good pads though. But so expensive!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Best way to tell is look at the backing, if its gold, its sintered.

I think thats it anyway
  • Yea they seem to be lasting ages... wasn't too fussed by the pads with my saints either, these are okish...

Superstar replacements FTW!!

As soon as they start showing a bit of ware i'm gonna swap em out :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Anyone know what comes as standard with XT?
    Organics, generally.
    Went through a set on my saints in less than 30 minutes in the wet :shock:
  • peter413
    Anyone know what comes as standard with XT?
    Organics, generally.
    Went through a set on my saints in less than 30 minutes in the wet :shock:

I can beat that,

Went through a set in 3km so about 7 minutes :lol: I was a lot slower and had the brakes on a lot but still, 7 minutes :lol:

This was in some Hayes Stroker Ryde's.
  • Anonymous
    well, the first section of the ride was uphill, so probably in use, just slightly longer than yours lasted, Pete.
    Shocking!

The shortest life I've (sort of) had with any pad was about 10 feet! I'd nicked my brother's motorcycle disk brake cleaner to clean my discs/pads back when my Manitou X-vert forks used to leak constantly onto the things.
    Anyway, as it happens, the cleaner just turned the pad to much, which I found out when stopping at the bottom of the garden path to open the gate! :shock: :lol: :oops:
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Joe_Pineapples Posts: 1,718
    Just back from Morzine where my mate's Elixir 5's had a problem, the lever coming back to the bar. Took the bike down to a shop in Les Gets:
    "Haha, you British . . . you come out here with your sintered pads and overheat them, organics only!" was the reply.

Still, that's all well and good on Alpine downhill runs, but I still use sintered pads in the depths of a Scottish winter.

Incidentally, Superstar's Red Kevlar pads are excellent.
  • Anonymous
    I'd been warned off using sintered pads by my LBS, they don't actually stock them because they produce more heat, and can lead to overheating.
    Handy in winter though.
  • Anonymous
    They squeal a lot that's for sure.

Can organics cope even if you ride through the odd puddle? In British climates, even when it's dusty dry you can still find the odd puddle in a shady area that you can't avoid.

Does getting them wet/muddy in the slightest basically destroy them?

So would Kevlar be better generally for British summer conditions? (generally dry, sometimes wet/muddy).
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    sintered for the millstone grit round here. everything else is chewed up and spat out.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    cannock in the wet I'd go for sintered, it's rather sandy (particularly on the Monkey Trail) combine that with all the wet weather we've been having and you've got a lovely grinding paste to munch through organics.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • bamba
    i decided to keep the organics in until I was down there,the rain that was forecast didn't really materialise, just a nice drizzle for the first part, plus the ground was relatively dry, apart from few puddles around,pads survived OK, unlike the trail :(