Mongoose Teocali Super bargain

neninja
neninja Posts: 424
edited July 2010 in MTB general
I've just had a rush of blood to the head and bought a new Teocali Super 2009 on Ebay from Rutland cycles.

Reduced from £2000 to £899 delivered for a well spec'd 140mm FS seems too good to be true.

Fox F140 RL
Fox RP23 - 145mm rear travel
SLX chainset/mechs/shifters
XT rear mech
Stans Flow wheels
Cobra IS remote adjustable seat post

Worst case I could sell the frame and fit the parts to something else.

Comments

• P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Nice buy!
  • Laurence25
    Laurence25 Posts: 334
    :shock: :shock: You should not of told me that ! I WANT IT but have no money :(
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Laurence25 wrote:
    :shock: :shock: You should not of told me that ! I WANT IT but have no money :(

Oh, but worringly I do have the money...... :twisted:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • neninja
    Do it!!

You know you want to :wink:
  • Shorty12
    Shorty12 Posts: 478
    An amazing deal if the size isn't right you can always swap the frame :)
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    neninja wrote:
    Worst case I could sell the frame and fit the parts to something else.

Yeah you'll need to swap out that weak link I'm afraid :shock:
  • neninja
    Weak link?

Tell me more. I suspect the weakest link on the the bike will be the rider
  • bluechair84
    freedrive system is like... one stage up from a URT. When stood, you partially unweight the suspension as you are somewhat standing on the rear triangle. The BB has to move to allow the suspension to compress / you resist the swingarms movement with your body weight. When stood, you make the suspension less effective which is great for climbing fireroad but not descending or ascending anything technical. I had one and just couldn't get on with it - felt numb and unresponsive over rough terrain. Though there are plenty of good reviews to the contrary.

It's all subjective 8)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Dunno, I was going through some old mags last night and noticed a few reviews of Teocali's that weren't giving the best scores/rundown.

Also after seeing a Teocali in action by just looking at it I wasn't impressed.

Although never ridden one.
  • bluechair84
    I think years and years ago the Teocali scored pretty well in WMB, the geometry is nice and they have always been really good value - espcially at this price! I think the value really swung it's better scores.

Interestingly, it shares it's design with the GT I-drive, but GT don't share all of the technology with the Teocali so it doesn't benefit from the design features that make the i-drive passable as a mountain bike.
  • neninja
    I'll just have to wait and see. The 08 version of the Super got 4.5 stars on here and the 09 has got a better fork and wheelset.

Even if it's only used as a donor bike after trying it out it's still a great deal.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Briggo wrote:

Can't argue with that :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Like many full suss systems, is swings and roundabouts. Some adore the feel, others hate it. Always have done well in WMB.

I have just wrote a huge article for next months WMB on all the types of suss - out on the 24th.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    I have just wrote a huge article for next months WMB on all the types of suss - out on the 24th.

You shameless self-promoter, you! :wink:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Briggo
    Northwind wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

Can't argue with that :lol:

Merely stating that seeing one in action it didn't look all that great, the one I was stuck behind on a long peice of singletrack wasn't seeming to give a good ride as it was bobbing a lot.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, as like I said, never ridden one...

:roll:
  • bluechair84
    supersonic wrote:
    Like many full suss systems, is swings and roundabouts. Some adore the feel, others hate it. Always have done well in WMB.

Did you come to a conclusion as to which performs best overall? I know it's swings and roundabouts... but you have to come to a conclusion?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You'll have to buy it haha :wink:
  • bluechair84

You shameless self-promoter, you! :wink:

+1 :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    24th of this month?
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    You can get the '08 Super, with full XT, for £999.95!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • neninja
    I know but I plummed for the Fox F32 140mm fork and Flow rims - the SLX kit on the 09 bike will be fine
  • bluechair84
    Briggo wrote:
    Merely stating that seeing one in action it didn't look all that great, the one I was stuck behind on a long peice of singletrack wasn't seeming to give a good ride as it was bobbing a lot.

In my experience, it was very plush when sat. If you do a lot of sitting you'll get a descent ride! So great for marathons and XC which i suppose is where that short travel freedrive of there's will shine. But stood doing technicle stuff, where you'll want 140mm of travel you just get beaten in the legs!
    Drop offs are a big no-no as your weight is effectivley on the rear swingarm.
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    Someone tell me it's far too expensive before I buy it and use the parts for my planned 456 build.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Someone tell me it's far too expensive before I buy it and use the parts for my planned 456 build.

It's far too cheap to pass up, if you bought a carbon or steel 456 frame, you'd be well under the cost of any of the on one builds.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Briggo wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

I had one a few years bike and it was good on the climbs and better on the decents..ok the freedrive system takes a week or so to get used to but it makes so much sense on this type of travel frame..

I wish people wouldn't make judgement without actually owning or riding a bike..as for the quote of seeming not to give a good ride as it was bobbing a bit....I am sure the guy/gal following you would say the same thing...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • maloo
    maloo Posts: 214
    I currently have a Teocali and must say it climbs the hills better than anything I have ever ridden before and downhill is even better. You deffo got a bargain, I think the Teocali is very underrated and the freedive system seems to get a bit of flack but I dont see why really. And ignore anyone who says it cant handle drop offs .... just check out the Chris Akrigg vid for some examples of what it can do with the right rider 8)
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    http://vimeo.com/10695528

Say no more.

Awesome buy.
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • Briggo
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Briggo wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

I had one a few years bike and it was good on the climbs and better on the decents..ok the freedrive system takes a week or so to get used to but it makes so much sense on this type of travel frame..

I wish people wouldn't make judgement without actually owning or riding a bike..as for the quote of seeming not to give a good ride as it was bobbing a bit....I am sure the guy/gal following you would say the same thing...

Thats rather a presumptious thing to say considering you don't know what I even ride, what if I rode a hardtail? ;)

I never made a judgement, I didn't say it was the worst bike ever, did I say for him not to buy it? I merely said after watching one in action thats what I saw, however I haven't ridden one so can't comment on its actual rideability hence why I mentioned that fact.

If its not the suspension design then it'll be something like his shock wasn't setup properly creating the ridiculous amount of bobbing he was suffering while riding along all the time.

Calm down people, sheesh.
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    I've got a Teocali. It climbs well and descends well.

Total garbage that it won't handle a drop off. Done GT, Laggan, etc. on it and don't remember being beaten in the legs.

Sounds a bargain and I suspect you'll have a lot of fun on it and that is what matters.
    Shot by both sides...
  • Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    An epic deal tbh, if you need a great trail bike in a small frame this has to be it.

I've got the old 2006? Teocali Super (black/red). Best bike i've ever ridden. The frames are a touch heavy, but that only makes the downhills more fun. No complaints about the suspension system after 4 years solid riding.

Only changes I made have been the wheels to some lighter XC719/Hope Pro2's and a Kenda SB8 on the back. Awesome!