Now that's embarrassing

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Chris, you nutter

128.90 in two days! :shock:

I hope you're putting these totals into the Team SCR stats....

At least I'm over 50miles now... except my damn' comp went nuts and only recorded 6 of my 10.5 miles this morning... muttermutter Actually at 62.8 miles as of getting in this morning.

My target is 100 miles for the week so I have 38 miles in 3 trips to do this. Nicely doable,and if the weather is better tomorrow I'm going to throw a 40 mile day in on Friday.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Flattery won't work Kieran.

I had to limit it yesterday due to being needed at Scouts to do the Bike Maintenance badge thing with the little darlings (Scouts eh? dib dib woggle woggle? They've moved on... :) ) so only managed 58 (miles not Scouts) yesterday. Luckily the rethink on points = miles instead of relative position gives me a bit of an advantage going into the final run in. I sense a long journey home tonight.

All miles genuine and logged in the Stats Board.

CiB - June
  • CiB
    Shoot. Some bloke called Ian is making a good fight of it - he's narrowed the gap to 21 miles now that Wednesday's figures are in.

Looks like a trip home via Coventry is on the cards tonight then. Only tomorrow to go after that.

<smiley for 'tension mounts...'>
  • Kieran_Burns
    The new figures are just in... I've cried off today due to the stomach bug doing the rounds. 10 minutes after I should've set off I was (still)... convening with nature, and again at 7. :oops:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Chris!

You've been passed!!

283.30 to your 260.20 in 4 days!!! :shock: :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    I'd like to say I'm gutted, but TBH I'm past caring. Add on today's [so far, still have to get home] and that's nearly 290 in a week, will be about 320 by the time I get home. If someone wants it that much they're welcome to it; I'm shot - legs have gone.

Still. Bollocks. Grumble.
  • CiB
    And thus it endeth, with me being beaten into second place by a bloke who knows how to do a decent mileage when it matters. Chapeau to the bloke - he deserved it.

Winner ended the week on 364 miles, me on 327. It was enough for me to be top of the Stats League briefly on Friday when sorted on Week To Date [except for our man who did JoGLE, so stil second there too...].

Keiran - you never quite got out of the starting blocks. Bigger effort next year eh? You ought to win the amusing story competition though.

Next year's target is 100+ per day, if it all falls into place next year.

:)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Wasn't the best week for me - still suffering from iffy guts at the moment :cry:

All 5 days at 25 - 30 a day would've been easily possible normally but I really struggled all week.

Next year I'll go and do a bloody sportive on a day off :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    CiB wrote:
    Winner ended the week on 364 miles, me on 327.

Bloody hell.
  • Kieran_Burns
    WesternWay wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Bloody hell.

Good summary 8)

Just checked the final tally and the 1st 3 people all did over 300 miles each! The 4th placed guy did just over 1/2 the distance. That is one hell of a step up :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    WesternWay wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Bloody hell.

Good summary 8)

Just checked the final tally and the 1st 3 people all did over 300 miles each! The 4th placed guy did just over 1/2 the distance. That is one hell of a step up :D

You gotta want it more. 8)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Well - at least I won the funny story competition :D

I wrote about... "The Game"

(mind you - I bet no one else wrote anything)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Well - at least I won the funny story competition :D

I wrote about... "The Game"

(mind you - I bet no one else wrote anything)

Publishing here?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Kieran_Burns
    Can do :D

Please note that this is written for non-cyclists and the inexperienced riders....

SCR. The Game.
    SCR is Silly Commuting Racing. You know you do it… you’re cycling in to work and someone swishes by. You can never let it go, you have to give chase and show “you da man / woman / person”
    On the flip side: you’re coming into work on your MTB with the big knobbly tyres and see ahead of you: some show-off shaved-legged roadie type in all the kit. Looks like he’s got lost on the way back from the Tour de France… and you’re catching him. You’ve got to make this happen, dig deep, check the legs are co-operating and go for it. The moment of pleasure as you pass the lycra warrior is just pure joy. You have scalped your prey, members of the opposite sex will gravitate to you, they see your strength, you are the victor. Of course sounding like an asthmatic warthog and collapsing in a ball of pain right afterwards. Not so good.
    There are rules:
    No Dangerous Manoeuvres (Don’t be a danger to any other road users or yourself) Falling off causes pain to you and others around you, don’t do it! (oh and you lose your points)
    Don’t ride like a muppet, we’re all just trying to get somewhere
    No passing at Lights/Junction/Crossings. If you do: it doesn’t count
    All passing on open road ONLY. Filtering in traffic is null and void (you know whether you’ve dropped someone fairly, and haven’t turned off straight afterwards)
    Pavement passes, either you or the target are void
    Show no pain, unless, like me your face is just like that
    There is a hierarchy to the bikes and the ultimate scalp is the scooter. Getting past one these means hitting and holding 30+ and that’s just plain scary. Road bikes are the best you can hope to get past, the dropped bar / sleek speed machines with some ‘coconuts in a sock for calves’ type riding it. Go get ‘em.
    There is a food chain to this list of potential targets and you need to know where you are when out. I’m quite lowly when commuting in – I have mudguards and panniers on my touring style bike but I have a HUGE target on my back when I’m on my full-carbon road bike. I cycle in fear of my life and act like a startled gazelle whenever I see any other bike behind me.
    The top of the list then are the road bikes, then the single speeds, then the tourers, the hybrids, the MTBs on road tyres, the MTBs on knobblies, the folding bikes, the full-sus MTBs (boing, boing), shopping bikes and at the bottom – electric bikes.
    Of course, then you have to worry about attire. I cycle in full kit, so I make myself out to be an ‘experienced’ cyclist. If you come tanking past me while wearing an office suit; I may well stop cycling immediately, sit by the side of the road and sob quietly. You look for the level of gear and the seriousness of the prey. Shaven legs? May as well paint a bulls-eye on his back. Shaven legs on ladies doesn’t count, you can’t sneak scalps that way.
    How does it work in reality? Riding home last night, I spied my target 300 yards in front of me. I checked bike, the rider – road bike, lycra, helmet, wrap around shades. Yep higher than me on the food chain. Game on. You reel them in, you check your legs are responding and you can hold the speed, you get closer, shoulder check: clear behind; swing to move out and apply the power. Affect complete nonchalance, smile and nod as you pass, a cheery “Evening!” always helps. Don’t show the pain. Swing back in, hold the speed, pray he doesn’t have it in him to chase. Don’t look back. They sense your weakness.
    I did this last night, and was really lucky in that I went through a speed sensor as I passed the guy. 25mph shown! I died a quiet death as I carried on, but held the victory and casually looked back ½ a mile further on, he was still there behind me. Thank God. Okay, okay: there WAS a tail wind.
    So, next time you’re stuck in traffic, imagine the fun we’re having on the bike. Being safe, getting the miles under our legs and reaping victories on the way into work and the way home.
    It’s not silly. It’s the game.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    SimonLyons wrote:
    What do you get for doing it?
    Prizes dished out, yours truly better off to the tune of £30 of Wiggle tickets for being 2nd. Better than the proverbial poke in the eye with a pointy stick by a fair chunk I'd say.

Neat.

:)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Bugger. I'm not in work at the moment (FAW course) so I have no idea what my literary prize is. :(
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Whatever the prize is Kieran, that was a neat article.....even if with a small amount of plagiarism from the SCR website!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Whatever the prize is Kieran, that was a neat article.....even if with a small amount of plagiarism from the SCR website!

Simon

The plagiarism was deliberate to be honest - I wanted to get the rules as we play them, so I made sure they were cut and pasted straight in.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    how does this get "regulated" - as in, what stops a person from putting in false info?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Honesty. Simple as. I would never want to win by cheating.

That and you get to hear about the miles people are doing - the winner rode from London to Reading and back in a day during the week, just to go to a meeting.

I hope to God they had the windows open :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Valy
    Awww, that's nice.

What a bunch of sports! :D

Oh yeah - that's about 60kms... did he have to go all the way back as well? :O

Quite a distance for a commute either way... :p
  • CiB
    To be fair, who wants to win by telling porkies? I was in with a shout up until Marathon Man's meeting on the Thursday, but one or two people were by then suggesting that I just 'add' some miles onto what I was doing. It's a no brainer. How can you accept the plaudits for winning, knowing that in reality some other guy had really won? How do you tell your kids that you 'won', knowing that in reality you did no such thing?

We run the SC Stats board on the same lines. Stick your miles up, see where you are. Same with this sort of competition. If you don't fancy the idea of not winning, don't enter.
  • Valy
    CiB wrote:
    To be fair, who wants to win by telling porkies? I was in with a shout up until Marathon Man's meeting on the Thursday, but one or two people were by then suggesting that I just 'add' some miles onto what I was doing. It's a no brainer. How can you accept the plaudits for winning, knowing that in reality some other guy had really won? How do you tell your kids that you 'won', knowing that in reality you did no such thing?

You... you srs?

We run the SC Stats board on the same lines. Stick your miles up, see where you are. Same with this sort of competition. If you don't fancy the idea of not winning, don't enter.

Why did you say that?
    That was the Royal you, not the specific you

as it were
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Valy
    That was the Royal you, not the specific you

as it were

I was not sure but I was leaning towards the errr, Royal you. Just seems a bit odd.
  • CiB
    Sorry chaps. You've lost me completely here. Whatever you said, I agree probably.

:?:
  • Valy
    CiB wrote:
    Sorry chaps. You've lost me completely here. Whatever you said, I agree probably.

:?:

Yeah...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Hmmm.... I'm not getting Wiggle vouchers.... <intruiged>
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Oh, Chris - have you seen that Capita are doing the Cycle to Work scheme again?

Only it's all being organised through Halfords :evil:

Fark. :shock: :?

I have a CX bike and a Road bike, don't want a MTB as people who ride them are weird.... what to do....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Oh, Chris - have you seen that Capita are doing the Cycle to Work scheme again?

Only it's all being organised through Halfords :evil:

Fark. :shock: :?

I have a CX bike and a Road bike, don't want a MTB as people who ride them are weird.... what to do....

TT?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX