D'oh... attention to detail FAIL

bartimaeus
bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
edited July 2010 in MTB general
So I'm rolling downhill off the Southdowns Way into Hooksway, and on one of the bridle-path sections. I start to wonder why my bars are vibrating so much - and, yes, the front forks are locked :D

l'd flipped the lockout as an experiment climbing uphill some 6 miles back... normally I climb while in the saddle and there's no need to lock the forks. Clearly about 20mm of travel is enough on smooth grass and roads - but a pain in the wrists when the path gets a bit bumpy!
homer-doh.png
Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building

Comments

• M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    Did similar a couple of weekends ago.

On Whites level black run!!
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I think we've all done it at some point! I always used to leave my scott genius on half travel by mistake after climbing a hill.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I once did a staircase with locked out forks, by mistake, man that was bumpy :roll:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    Why do I never realise why the descent is so harsh until I get to the bottom? I've done it often enough to be able to make the connection :roll:

How about a competition to devise a simple reminder device. Here's an idea: strap a kitchen timer to the bars and set it for a suitable time whenever you lock the forks out. Here's a more technological one: A device with a tilt switch that detects a 10 degree forward tilt and emits an ear-piercing 150 decibel screeeeech. Or, for the more sensitive, a red light bulb fixed to the bars and triggered by a tilt switch.

Gotta go - got some inventing to do. Anyone into marketing? :lol:
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    Or simply adjust the floodgate to a more useful setting perhaps???

;)
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • I do this pretty much every time I lock the forks out, and sometimes even when I don't (they have a habit of finding lockout on their own after a particularly rough decent). And I never think to check until I get to the bottom.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    M1llh0use wrote:
    Did similar a couple of weekends ago.

On Whites level black run!!
    not quite lockout, but had my Thors (which are very pressure sensitive) pumped right up for a bit of DJ and park action, and then in my haste forgott to put it back to normal before doing whites level. The black run was made worse by me forgetting to turn the compression off! DOH! that hurt!

Thankfully i had a shock pump with me...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Clum84
    Clum84 Posts: 196
    Did it at Glentress a few weeks ago. The first drop in spooky woods was NOT fun!
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I do this pretty much every time I lock the forks out, and sometimes even when I don't (they have a habit of finding lockout on their own after a particularly rough decent). And I never think to check until I get to the bottom.
    Holy design and engineering failure batman :shock:
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I do this pretty much every time I lock the forks out

The reason I barely ever lock my RS Pike forks out on my AM..
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I took the MoCo out of my Rebas for that reason! On the very rare occasion I bothered to lock it I always forgot to unlock it afterwards.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I've left mine locked out and landed hard from a wheelie on a few occasions. More poor technique than anything :P Epicons have about 4mm of travel when locked, and no blowoff :(
  • I do this pretty much every time I lock the forks out, and sometimes even when I don't (they have a habit of finding lockout on their own after a particularly rough decent). And I never think to check until I get to the bottom.
    Holy design and engineering failure batman :shock:

To be fair on the forks, I can batter the trails sometimes and the lockout doesn't budge at all. Then occasionally, every so often I'll look down and it's fully locked out, or fully open. It's got me thinking now, because there's no real method to it...perhaps a cable catching it?