calling out the Old Dogs

Chicago Dave
Chicago Dave Posts: 59
edited July 2010 in Amateur race
I was sitting here,wondering,
how many other Old Dogs there are,on this site.

how many have...
worn wool shorts ?
wore a wool jersey ?
wore leather mitts ?
still have their Addidas "Eddie Merckx" shoes ?
that their shoe guy nailed the cleats onto ?
who remembers going to have missing cleat-nails replaced ?
and who else remember "tire savers' ?
wore/still have their hairnet ?

and what else have I forgotten?

Comments

• ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    If you can remember all that, then you're old enough so that you won't remember anything that happened today!
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Fk me man, I'm 44 and this doesn't ring any bells!
  • the best Raleigh was the Team Pro. beautiful...
    me? 'had a Dawes Super Galaxy.(hated it.such a long wheelbase...)

hey,how about, owned a Brook's Pro saddle?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I've just bought a wool jersey.... First one in my life, though, and I'm 48!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    If you're that old, you're either Dennis or too old to understand how the internet works.
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    Dennis is better than most of us on internet cos he still uses dos with 'lots of upgrades'
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I was sitting here,wondering,
    how many other Old Dogs there are,on this site.

how many have...
    worn wool shorts ?
    wore a wool jersey ?
    wore leather mitts ?
    still have their Addidas "Eddie Merckx" shoes ?
    that their shoe guy nailed the cleats onto ?
    who remembers going to have missing cleat-nails replaced ?
    and who else remember "tire savers' ?
    wore/still have their hairnet ?

and what else have I forgotten?
    I can go with all that except I do not still have my leather shoes and I screwed my own shoe plates (not cleats) on.
    Now racing TTs and MTB on rather more modern stuff (thank goodness). You youngsters do not know how good you have it.
  • Rojales
    Rojales Posts: 26
    Orange plasic saddles which we coverd with leather from mums hanbag, gear shifters on the end of the handlebars, plus 4s, kendle mint cake, malt loaf, 3 or 4 layers of tape on the handle bars. still got a pair of string back gloves! Riding to races with best wheels fitted to front forks. Its all a long long time ago.
  • tramotane
    tramotane Posts: 46
    circa 1982 I started racing on a gas pipe frame 2 inches two big on handed down sprints fiammes with campag tipo hubs, 13-18 block, sedis chain and stronglight chain set. I did a 1.4 .30 25 on that wearing woolshorts but lycra top.The shorts were terrible if they got wet think sagging nappies!

Next season new 531 dave marsh frame with campag nuvo record and GP4s won my first road race on that bike wearing a cinelli hair net with cap stretched over the outside and sidi overshoes the blue ones with the fur lining! my 25 time went down to 1.1.54

the coolest things available was probably a white turbo saddle but you could buy a white saddle sock and achieve a similar effect.

I had a pair of hand my down reynold flat touring shoes with nailed in metal cleats they were miles better than trainers before progressing onto a pair of Vittoria super legera shoes with a big white white V on the tongue.My coolest jersey was a celeste blue bianchi wool item just like Guido Bontempi wore.

After an absence of 16 years I could afford all the lovely kit and on my first 25 TT for 16 years took nearly 8 mins off my PB!.

back then you just got on with it miss it a lot
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    never had to nail plates on my shoes, they were modern enough to be screwed on. but god it was dangerous, back of the pedal in the groove of the plate, clips pulled tight.
    and you could`nt get your foot out for love nor money. then you read about people being scared of clipless pedals, if only they knew.
    i also remember tyre protectors, if you were riding around on clements number 3 , they were essential.
    how about drilling? to save a few ounces.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • remember the 'tan' you got from string-back gloves?
    funny funny funny
  • thetrotter
    thetrotter Posts: 258
    Simplex (largely made out of plastic), Huret or Zeus (cheap Spanish copy of campag) gears? Williams chainsets (one of the first splined bottom brackets) where -on mine at least - the cranks kept coming loose or the old loose bearing bottom brackets that used to fill with water when it rained because seat pins were not enclosed at the top? A little later on, Simplex retrofriction gear levers which at least didn't change gear when you hit a bump and later still Cinelli M71 pedals which were great until you actually had to get your feet out! Five speed screw on freewheels, bottom gears of 42X21, the list goes on and on. Bizarrely, everyone used to ride tubs because decent clinchers weren't even a twinkle in someone's eyes.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    I've still got and use qa pair of Zeus large flange hubs which were given to a a clubmate for winning the National Junior Road Race champs. Still in perfect order.

My first bike (which I still have) was a Claud Butler Road Track on which I rode fixed, time trialled, toured and rode 66" fixed in the winter with mudguards.

I still have a Chater Lea chainset and pedals, Airlite lf hubs, Brooks and Mansfield saddles, Mafac and Universal centrepull brakes etc etc.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I still have a 531 raliegh road ace on my turbo.
    Still have leather crash hat.
    Still have the original releigh (one red/yellow, one blue/yelllow/red/white) and peugot jerseys.
    Old Castelli woolen bottoms, and brasers to hold them up :D
    Original peaked campag winter cap.
    Sold the wheels and componenets off the road ace on ebay.
    Only recently got rid of my old sidi shoes (white cleats) as I sold the 600Ax pedals.
  • forgot the plastic Simplex...
    had that on my Peuguot PX 10
    white,black lugs...

how about Benotto tape? sooo many colors.
    'kinda miss that.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    edited July 2010
    And the latest and greates in saddles, the Unicanitor plastic jobbie.

And Bike Aids little booklet thingee.

I even remember rod changers on the front mech.

And thinking who the hell needs a five speed block? What's wrong with just three gears?

And thinking I was the dog's bollocks cus I had Universal brake levers with top adjusters, and Mafac Racer brakes.

And buying my first Japanese rear mech, a Sun Tour Skitter, about 1965. :oops:
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Rojales wrote:
    ................................ still got a pair of string back gloves! Riding to races with best wheels fitted to front forks. Its all a long long time ago.

I've still wear my string back gloves. And, yep, riding out to timetrials with your wheels bolted to carriers on the front axle.

Kids today, don't know they're born!!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I restored a 1983 Gios Aerodynamic this year and have entered L'Eroica, so have every justification to seek nostalgia:
    Leather shoes with nailed-on plates - check - Detto Pietros
    Wooly jersey - check
    Leather mitts - check
    Eddy Merckx shoes - if only
    Chucked my Cinelli hairnet years ago - wish I still had it!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    lmao, im only 20 and iv wore wool mits lmao ( i used to untill i got some cycing gloves)
    lol
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    If you can remember all that, then you're old enough so that you won't remember anything that happened today!

I remember all that. Now what was the question?

I still have a pair of Puma wood soled shoes. All nailed up nice and neat. Even take them for a ride once in a while. Still have my Suntour Superbe Pro pedals and they still work really well, spin as smooth as the day I bought them. I've even kept a pair of leather chamois shorts just to remind me of the "good old days". Tossed the hairnet helmet way long ago. I think my wife said it stank too bad to keep. I also have a pair of metal toe clips.
    These days I'm not sure if you can buy anything but plastic ones.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    forgot the plastic Simplex...
    white,black lugs...

'kinda miss that.

The real thin plastic stuff?????
  • Colnago red,black lettering on white(see G Saronni)
    Peuguot white,black lugs
    Falcon powder blue
    Schwinn Paramount (USA) chrome
    Cinelli silver

remember when shorts got colors?

I still have the hairnet.Still have a wool jersey,no shorts,though.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    dennisn wrote:
    forgot the plastic Simplex...
    white,black lugs...

'kinda miss that.

The real thin plastic stuff?????

The first time I saw that was at the Wembley 6 day - Didi Thurau (who was warming up to ride an exhibition pursuit against Eddie Merck) has this fluo pink bar tape and told me it was made by Benotto.

Weren't Benotto a Mexican firm - I seem to remember they also made frames?