What adaptors do i need to fit bigger discs?

ryan1702
ryan1702 Posts: 40
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I own a carrera kraken 09 and the standard discs are a bit small and would like to get some bigger ones. I know i need adaptors but dont know which ones i need. The forks are suntour xcr's. i would like to fit 203mm on the rear and 185mm on the front. The calipers are tektro aurigra comps. [/img]
I thought a thought that I thought I had thought but the thought that I had thought wasn't the thought that I had thought I had thought so maybe if I had thought the thought that I thought I thought I wouldn't of thought so much!

Comments

• what size are they? and why?!

203 mm will be overkill for trail riding.

185/185 is a good setup if your heavy like me... around 16st.

185/160 is fine!
  • ryan1702
    at the moment they are 160 all round and i know the bike isn't meant to be used for DH but i occasionally use it for this and the 203mm seems like it would be better for this purpose. Can u tell me what adaptors i would need or how to tell the difference between the mount types?
    I thought a thought that I thought I had thought but the thought that I had thought wasn't the thought that I had thought I had thought so maybe if I had thought the thought that I thought I thought I wouldn't of thought so much!
  • Proper DH?

the bike isn't designed for that type of abuse. is your fork compatible/warranted/strong enough for 203 mm?

TECH_Disk_tab_type.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Got to CRC and look at the adaptors - it lists all the types, and you can easily work out what you need. The descriptions are straightforward.

How much do you weigh?

And I don't think the fork, or frame can take or is designed for a 203mm rotor.
  • Mynameisdann
    Mynameisdann Posts: 665
    wouldnt the brakes be the least of your worries if you intend on using that DH
  • ryan1702
    its not 'proper DH' but the occasional dh trail and rarely jumps. The 203mm was for the rear. Thx for the pics, its the IS. Much appreciated. How do i find out if the fork supports 185mm or should that just be alrite anyway
  • you dont need a big disk at the back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

front brake = slow down

rear brake = steering

you'll just skid and lose cotrol!
  • ryan1702
    i weigh 12 stone
  • supersonic
    It says on the SR website.

The fork cannot take more than 185mm. Nobody runs larger rear rotors than fronts though,as most braking is done on the front.

I would use 185 front and rear, as 203mm is just too much really for a frame like this and will feel a lot different from the front. Plus you risk damaging the frame.
  • ryan1702
    what would you say the best setup for my bike would be?
  • as ss says, 185 all round.
  • supersonic
    How much do you weigh? Are brakes not stopping you? Cannot you not lock them up with control?
  • ryan1702 wrote:
    i weigh 12 stone

:)
  • ryan1702
    the back one loks up but the front is a bit weak and is not even powerful enough to endo
  • supersonic
    I would at the most use 185mm front, 160mm rear.
  • ryan1702
    you sed 185 all round b4, wud tht b better or the 160 rear
  • ryan1702
    I would use 185 front and rear
  • supersonic
    I meant at the most for what the frame could handle, but given you are a lightweight, then 160mm at the back should be perfect for a bike like this.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I weigh 12 stone and 185mm front 160mm rear is fine for me.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I weigh 14 stone and 183mm and 160mm is fine for me
  • ryan1702
    what adaptor will i need to fit my calipers
  • supersonic
    Look on CRC, hey have all the adaptors you could ever want - just ,match to what you have and what you disk you want to fit.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... goryID=563

Your frame is IS. Your calipers are PM. I think the fork is IS, but take a look as in that diagram.
  • ryan1702
    post to IS then
  • ryan1702
    will any brand fit or do i need a certain make
  • supersonic
    Most brands fit fine, except with a few rare caliper fork combos. You should be fine.

You can get Tektro ones anyway, the the Avid and Shimano will do.