Bike Fit

m00nd0g
m00nd0g Posts: 176
edited July 2010 in MTB general
I have recently been for a Giant Bike fit.
They did a lot of measuring then typed my measurements into a computer.
Today I have been out.
I ran out of gears up the hills.
On the return journey my knee hurt.
I nearly raised the saddle.
ShouldI just stick with it?
I guess its going to take a few miles before the muscles get used to it?

Comments

• cloudynights
    cloudynights Posts: 351
    if your brand new to riding it takes about 12 months to build up what i call cycling legs,this includes fitness and knowing how to set your bike up for you.
    just go out and enjoy it yeah move your seatpost height experiment with stuff its all part of learning

best of luck
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • m00nd0g
    m00nd0g Posts: 176
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have been riding for several years.
    Though I do have a new bike and want the best position for speed and comfort.
    Rather suprised after shelling out money for a bike fit Im back to fiddling with the saddle.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if your saddle is too low then raise it till your hips are rocking and then lower it a tad.

what a computer says is only info against a norm. which may be wrong for you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • a new bikes geometry can be enough to "unsettle" your muscles, when i got my current bike, i noticed my lower thighs were burning which they hadnt done for a good few years, the seat was at the correct height and evrything else was set up right.
    it passed once the muscles got used to it though
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    These bike fit things are too rigid in what they say. They don't show how a bike will handle when you are riding the thing.

They can help some people with certain injuries if the fitter really knows there stuff. But a computer to tell you w#hat sizes everything needs to be? Two identical people may prefer two totally different set ups.

Adjust to what suits you, not a computer.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    When you say a "Giant bike fit" does this mean it was done by Giant to fit you for a Giant bike. I'd take results with a massive pinch of salt if that's the case as, surprisingly, they'll only recommend a Giant bike. Fiddle with the setup till it feels better.

I had a bikefit done, but this was for a road bike and was via a local bike shop who went through their whole range. It's far more important for road bikes to be fitted well as you're in a single position for long periods of time, on a mountain bike you're constantly moving your weight around.

When you're pedalling, try and pay attention to how you're knees are moving. When i got back into cycling, i got a lot of knee pain because when i got tired, i started to drop one of my knees in toward the frame, twisting it with every pedal rotation.

It does get easier!!
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    I find getting a new bike is like getting a new pair of shoes and obviously they are not built exactly to fit you. You should need to do some adjustments and should expect to change a few setting slightly.

Once you are used to the bike you will be able to find the perfect set up for you and in a couple of months be as happy as larry - as apparently he is a very happy biker!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Along the same lines as SS, I set the saddle so that with the pedal at the bottom and foot parallel to ground, my knee is just bent, its aiming for the same effect as SS's suggestion, just a different way of getting there!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.