What tyres/wheels Help

cliffw0970
cliffw0970 Posts: 12
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Put a post on a few days ago about buying my Trek 6300 which im enjoying immensly

I have already started changing a few little bits on it (not going crazy)

What recommendations would you make on wheels and tyres. As im a complete noob any help would be appreciated, or link if there is a thread somewhere

Cheers

In addition to that they will be used for on and off road

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    What don't you like about the current wheels, and how much are you thinking of spending?
  • flowpro
    flowpro Posts: 64
    You could try Maxxis Crossmark Tyres they are good on the road and offroad. Just adjust the tyres pressures depending on what ride you are planning. They don't work very well in the wet/mud but it's going to be summer forever :P

cliffw0970 wrote:
    Put a post on a few days ago about buying my Trek 6300 which im enjoying immensly

I have already started changing a few little bits on it (not going crazy)

What recommendations would you make on wheels and tyres. As im a complete noob any help would be appreciated, or link if there is a thread somewhere

Cheers

In addition to that they will be used for on and off road
  • cliffw0970
    Thanks flowpro

As for the reason, no other than I just want to upgrade as much as I can because im a tackle tart :-)

Not really thought about cost, how about £50 per wheel and £30 per tyre?

Thanks

Cliff
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    don't bother with the wheels. just get new rubber and then ride it until you break things at which point upgrade.
  • ride_whenever
    basically wheels for £50 will be poo, but spend £40 on a tyre and you'll notice the difference.

Rocket rons are awesome, but wear badly. For more durability try the panaracer rampage/razer mx combination. It's awesome.
  • cliffw0970
    basically wheels for £50 will be poo, but spend £40 on a tyre and you'll notice the difference.

Rocket rons are awesome, but wear badly. For more durability try the panaracer rampage/razer mx combination. It's awesome.

Thanks for that

The main reason I am doing this is I want white rims, money is not that much of the problem just said £50 as I have no idea. What would you recommend bearing in mind I would spend a fair amount if needed?

Cheers
  • ride_whenever
    White rims you say?

I know where this ends up...

I'd go for the stans rims if i were building another set of white wheels, the crest is an am rim and JRA have 2 in stock. then silver double butted spokes and hope hubs to finish.
  • njee20
    White/silver is a no I reckon. White Crests, black spokes, Hope Hubs would be a decent solid choice.

Begs the question though... if money isn't really an object, why buy a £600 hardtail to start with?
  • cliffw0970
    njee20 wrote:
    White/silver is a no I reckon. White Crests, black spokes, Hope Hubs would be a decent solid choice.

Begs the question though... if money isn't really an object, why buy a £600 hardtail to start with?

Loving those wheels, 8)

Bought the bike as a general get out after work for some fitness type thing. The bug has pretty much gripped me which I am sure you can understand. Really like the look of the Orange crush so going to learn my trade on the Trek and slowly upgrade components (something every 2 months or so) then buy the Orange frame. I will just have to bear in mind the end game is the Orange frame for colours etc

Agree with the black spokes :D

Oh and it was £750, have I been robbed, cheapest I could find :cry:
  • njee20
    Nah, I've not worked in the trade for a couple of years, couldn't remember what the 6300 cost!

That makes plenty of sense, it was a genuine query!
  • cliffw0970
    Thanks

Awaiting a few quotes for different bits and bobs, will update with what I decided

Not expecting much change from 500 sheets though by the looks of it :shock:
  • njee20
    £329 here with white rims/black spokes on Pro 2s. Merlin will probably be similar.
  • cliffw0970
    sweet, thanks again, with tyres looking at just over 400

Cheers