Formula to IS brake mount adaptor?

Spugnut
Spugnut Posts: 128
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm starting on a project (see Project Thing in my sig) and the forks I've got are 1998 Marzocchi Bomber Z3 Lights which come with "Formula" disc brake mounts. I'm struggling to find an adaptor so that I can mount "IS" brake calipers. Does anyone know where I can get hold of such a thing, or if indeed they actually exist?

The offending articles...

P1000250.jpg

Any help would really be appreciated.
Happy trails.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hammerhead used to make some. that were available from Rapid decent Scotland but both are not trading.

so you are out of luck unless i have one hanging around.

not cheap mind.

get something made up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Spugnut
    If you do happen to find one lying about Nick I'll quite happily pay for it. That goes for anybody else who finds one hiding in the bottom of a toolbox or wherever. :D
    Happy trails.
  • nicklouse
    just have a quick measurement will you.

holes are 49mm apart and 4mm

current is 51mm and 6mm

as it looks like yours have been played with.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Spugnut
    I'll have a measure tomorrow Nick, the forks are at work. I don't think they've been messed about with though, the paint has just come away, there's never been any disc brakes mounted on the forks. I'll get busy with the verniers and post dimensions tomorrow evening.

So far my delvings have uncovered a picture of the adaptor needed but no leads on where to acquire one.

Image003.jpg
    Happy trails.
  • nicklouse
    not seen that one before could be a nice self made.

what machining do have access to?

as i have/had the old FS drawings (or can get them) and the new ones can be found in the FAQs page 2 bottom.
  • Spugnut
    You were quite right Nick, they have been messed about with. Measured the holes, they're 48mm between the centres, but 6mm diameter! The "mate" who borrowed them a few years back was very surprised to receive a phonecall asking what the hell was going on. "Oh yeah, I tried drilling them out because they were too small but then the holes were too close together". Cheers mate.

I'm going to ask the steel fabricators on our estate if they can do ali welding and then probably take off the existing mounts for disc and Vs and get some IS ones done. Or weld the holes and re-drill at 4mm to take the adaptor.

Or find something interesting second hand. I'm thinking that's going to be a lot less hassle. If a bit defeatist.

Thanks for the help so far and I'll have a gander at the drawings in FAQ.
    Happy trails.
  • nicklouse
    if anything i would get an adaptor made up to suit the forks as they are now.

or find some newer IS lowers.