My First MTB

robbie87
robbie87 Posts: 26
edited July 2010 in Your mountain bikes
As the title explains, i purchased this gem off ebay around three weeks ago, and it seems to be doing the job so far - your opinions?

Dawes Tekarra

p6160147.jpg

Cheers :)

Comments

• hbrashaw
    hbrashaw Posts: 286
    looks quite good for a starter mtb, i'd tilt the seat down though!
  • does it have the sram x4 gearing, if so dont clatter the rear mech on anything they are quite fragile, its a good hack bike for the summer
  • robbie87
    seems to be doing the trick, thanks for the input about the gears.

seen as i'm a complete newbie when it comes to mountain bike upgrades, could this frame be used as a base, and then i could customise it as i go along? or would it be wiser to invest in a high standard bike next time round?

thanks in advance!
  • hbrashaw
    hbrashaw Posts: 286
    i think it would be best to save up for a bike that's about £500-1000, or start a build from the frame up
  • Pik n Mix
    Pik n Mix Posts: 39
    Just have fun riding that first, as you said its your first mtb so you wont know any different.

If you love it then start upgrading the bits you don't like, pointless throwing k's into it right from the word go or you wont appreciate the upgrades.

I'm still using a decentish frame and upgrading components. one day ill get a new frame but I haven't thrashed this one yet ;)

Have fun dude that's the main thing.
  • GOLDGPR
    GOLDGPR Posts: 140
    Thats how i started on a Dawes not the greatest but not the worse and a great 1st MTB. enjoy riding!

G
  • +1 on leaving things as they are for the time being, as for upgrading i would personally look at another bike, for £400 to £500 you could get a really good bike off ebay that somebody has already put together with their own custom bits, or even look at online sites like paulscycles.co.uk where you can pick bikes up for less than half there rrp, they may 2008, 2009 models but they would be brand new
  • robbie87
    thanks for the input guys, its very much appreciated.

i wasn't intending of upgrading or customising as of yet anyway, need to get the most out of this bike as well as improving my riding before i chuck money away.

as for paulscycles - wow, seen a few nice bargains on there!
  • robbie87 wrote:
    thanks for the input guys, its very much appreciated.

i wasn't intending of upgrading or customising as of yet anyway, need to get the most out of this bike as well as improving my riding before i chuck money away.

as for paulscycles - wow, seen a few nice bargains on there!

i bought my 1st proper mtb from them, it was a giant yukon fx3 full suspension, rrp was £650 and i bought it from them for £310 2009 model as well, was very happy with their service and got bike in 48hrs from payment, you just gotta be sure of the size you need though if ordering online