Hydration Pack Choice

Adnams82
Adnams82 Posts: 22
edited September 2010 in Women
Hello,

Bit of an introduction first I guess being as this is my first post, been lurking reading for a couple of months since we started heading out on our bikes again this year, figure I should say something really. I have been riding for a few years with my boyfriend and various friends of his, starting taking it more seriously last year and am trying much harder to do better this year and am loving. We are out most weekends now and in the week if at all possible. Our local trail centre is Cannock, the new FtD ending is great including the werewolf drops (300 attempts today 4 of which were successful).

So anyway to the title of my post, everytime we go out and ride I drink my camelbak dry. I have a magic with what I think is a 1.5L or 2L reservoir which I fill to the very brim. I like the size and fit of the magic but would like someting which holds a little more water, any suggestions/recommendations?

On a side note I am going on a skills course with Chase Skills on the 7th August, anyone else going? Long shot but you never know.

Thanks

Comments

• Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    I tend to find going up to a 3lt bladder means the pack its self get so much bigger/heavy, so if i,m out for a longer day or its hot I'll just stick a bottle on the bike as well normally plain water in the pack (easier for keep clean) And then a sports drink (gatorade ect) in the bottle, if you chose the right sports drink they are designed to help you absorb water better so you may find you get better hydration from your limited water supply ? Also nice to have a change of flavour :)
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
  • gb2gw
    gb2gw Posts: 81
    Hi Adnams

Welcome to non-lurking! (I've been a lurker for some time myself and only recently come out from the shadows)

I've had a 3 litre ladies Camelbak LUXE for a year or two now, which I love (always used to run out of water before and end up 'borrowing' from hubby) and is still pretty small, packwise, if you don't carry hordes of stuff in it. Can't say I notice any difference really between lugging 2 litles around and 3 litres. Get through that extra litre pretty quickly anyway!

CRC are selling a couple of different colours of it for £54.99 at the mo
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=33443
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on riding Werewolf Drop, I've still not managed to work up the courage yet! :lol:

I'm tempted to get a bigger pack too, I've got a Camelbak Magic that's about 2l, but since I've been riding the Monkey in the hot weather I nearly always run out near Lower Cliff!
  • I've been looking for a new hydration pack for ages and not found anything that meets my simple requirements: it has to be about 15 litres or more capacity and have straps for carrying body armour- these are quite easy to find. However, they also have to be short enough not to to bash off my helmet when descending. The packs I have tried (Dakine Nomad and C'Back HAWG) have been the perfect capacity and have the right straps but are too long. Others that have the right capacity and length don't have straps for pads. Manufacturers seem to think that women don't do long days in the hills/mountains and carry body armour.

I currently have a C'back Daystar which I would recommend as it holds a larger bladder and it has compression straps so if you don't fill it, it will squash down a bit. There is also a couple of Dakine ones (smaller than the Nomad) that are women specific which are worth having a look at.
    both wheels on the ground at all times!!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    gb2gw wrote:
    Hi Adnams

Welcome to non-lurking! (I've been a lurker for some time myself and only recently come out from the shadows)

I've had a 3 litre ladies Camelbak LUXE for a year or two now, which I love (always used to run out of water before and end up 'borrowing' from hubby) and is still pretty small, packwise, if you don't carry hordes of stuff in it. Can't say I notice any difference really between lugging 2 litles around and 3 litres. Get through that extra litre pretty quickly anyway!

CRC are selling a couple of different colours of it for £54.99 at the mo
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=33443

Ditto - ive got the same one :D

Whatever you go for, I would hightly recommend going for a ladies version as they fit so much better than the blokes ones.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Adnams82
    Adnams82 Posts: 22
    Thanks for all the replies and welcomes.

Think I will head down the shop and see if I can try a couple of the suggested ones for size and fit (if not weight) and see how a 3L sized pack feels.
  • When you try them on I would suggest wearing a helmet and then you cam make sure that the pack won't bash the back of your head when you descend. You might feel a bit of a muppet in the shop but it will save you from finding this out on the trails when your helmet is over your eyes and you can't see where you are going!
    both wheels on the ground at all times!!
  • Chronicbint
    Chronicbint Posts: 172
    I have a camelbak mule nv with a 3l reservoir, even when full it doesn't feel that heavy. There is enough room for a days worth of gear. If its a short ride just fill it half full.
  • lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    I have a luxe that I've had since they came out - it's fab but what sold it to me was the straps are shaped around the armpit/boob area making it far more comfy than any other rucksack/pack I have ever had :D
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • Hi,

I have a small pack for shorter easier days and a largder pack for longer days, which also holds a full face helmet.

The Drafter is great because it can carry a full face helmet:

http://www.welovelapierre.com/productvi ... 0%20Checks

The Endo is good for travelling light:

http://www.welovelapierre.com/productvi ... ck%20Black

If love Dakine packs because the hydration system works well and it's easy to clean. i've had problems with other brands in the past.
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    I wouldn't want to make my pack any bigger as it becomes really heavy on longer rides! Why not attch two bottle cages and carry an extra two bottles on your bike. If you wanted to, then you could stop and fill the camelbak up half way round to make it more convenient.
  • I prefer Dakine bladders and packs too, better than the camelbak imo. Check some of them out too. :D
  • I have a camelbak Mule and a Lobo (good for short outings), and both are great.
    I am 'curvy' and find them fine, and spent a while looking for a Luxe, but wasn't keen to buy via the web without having seen one.
    I really like being able to refill the camels without having to take the reservoir out, and am pleased with the build quality too!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • By the way just thought i'd let you know that my local shop, Primera, are having a sale at the mo. As well as loads of offers on camelbaks and packs, they're also offering 10% off Endura Clothing if you put this code in at the checkout ENDURA-10
    Thought I'd let you know in case you were going to buy one soon!
  • Bought a lobo in the end - it's great, don't notice much difference in weight - drink the first litre too fast! Also the fit seems no different, when correctly adjusted, to womens specific ones. Did struggle with getting to try a wide variety of other packs as stores tend to stock a very limited selection so it took a few trips to make a decision.
    Thanks for all the advice.
  • nice work, Lobo is def a good choice. Enjoy staying hydrated!